Chapter 24

Irene sat in her small kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee as the lights flickered above her. The apartment she'd moved into was half the size of her previous one and certainly a step down in luxury, but it was located away from her previous living quarters, close to Lynch's main building, and far away from both her parents and Miguel.

Irene felt sick every time she thought of her ex. She absentmindedly rubbed her bare ring finger, still not used to the absence of a ring around it. She and Miguel had broken things off more violently than she'd expected, and because of that, she was doing everything in her power not to come into contact with him.

Irene's parents parents often invited her to dinner, but Irene often ate alone, not wanting to risk the chance of running into her ex-fiance. She was often lonely these days, going to work, coming home, eating something, and going to bed. Never had Irene experienced such solitude, but she knew it was for the best. Staying with Miguel hadn't been healthy for her.

It was strange sleeping alone again. For so many years she and Miguel had shared the same bed, and when she dating Lillian, they'd often sneak into each other's rooms at night and hold each other close. Now, Irene had no one, not even her son.

Cooking was a challenge as well. Irene had never mastered cooking for herself in the cabin, as Lillian and Cherie had prepared most of the meals, and her mother had done most of it back at her old apartment. 

Irene's parents had begged her to stay with them, claiming things would work out, that it wouldn't be an issue, but Irene needed to get away from both her family and Miguel.

Irene let out an exasperated sigh and ran her fingers through her hair. She realized her hair had grown out lately. She needed to cut it again. It was getting too easily knotted for her liking.

A knock at her door startled her. Irene paused, wondering who would be visiting this early in the morning on a Saturday. She tried to peek out the blinds, but she couldn't make out the figure in front of her door.

She held her breath, praying it wasn't Miguel. She had not told him of her new residence, but maybe her parents had. If it was him, she'd stand her ground. She would never return to him.

The man at the door frightened Irene more than Miguel.

"L-Lynch!" she stammered, realizing she was in pajamas and half-awake. He, meanwhile, stood in front of her door in a business suit.

"May I come in?" he asked.

She slowly nodded, standing awkwardly as he surveyed her apartment.

"A bit of a smaller residence for you, I suppose," he said as he glanced around.

"I like it," Irene argued. She leaned against the wall, unsure what Lynch was here for. She had not seen him in months. He rarely made these unannounced visits these days. She thought she had convinced him she wasn't trouble. What had drawn him here?

"Coffee?" she asked.

"That's all right," Lynch said. "You don't need to stand so uncomfortable in your own home. Take a seat."

Feeling as if she were commanded to do so, Irene sat back at the kitchen table, watching him take the seat across from her. Irene slowly sipped on her coffee, her hands trembling as she brought the mug to her lips.

"I heard about the broken off engagement. My apologies," Lynch said.

"How did you know?" Irene asked quietly.

"There's no ring on your finger anymore, I can see. You forget Miguel works in close correspondence with me at times. He isn't very reserved about these things."