1 4 || 𝙀 𝘼 𝙏 [1/3]

ℙ𝔸ℝ𝕋 𝟙 𝕆𝔽 𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝕆ℕ𝔼 𝕎𝕆𝕄𝔸ℕ'𝕊 𝕊𝔼𝔸ℝℂℍ 𝔽𝕆ℝ 𝔼𝕍𝔼ℝ𝕐𝕋ℍ𝕀ℕ𝔾

𝔻𝔸𝕐 𝟙 𝕋𝕆 𝟙𝟘 - 𝔻𝔼𝕃ℍ𝕀

𝙾𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚒  𝚄𝚍𝚊𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚕𝚊𝚜  𝚁𝚎𝚜𝚘𝚛𝚝 - 𝟸:𝟶𝟶𝚊𝚖 (𝚝𝚑𝚎  𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝  𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐)

I swung my tiny luggage bag over my shoulder.

Today was the day I left for my month of self discovery.

10 days in Delhi, to eat to my heart's desire

10 days in Varanasi, to pray until my heart is pure

10 days in Agra, to find balance for my healed heart

I stopped for a moment, looking at my little suitcase. I smiled, chucking it on the couch, along with my phone.

No distractions.

I took in a deep breath, before walking out the door and onto the streets. I hailed a rickshaw, "To the airport, please."

✦ ✧ ✩ ✨ ✩ ✧ ✦

𝙳𝚎𝚕𝚑𝚒 - 𝟻  𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜  𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

I walked along the streets, looking at all the delectable food in the markets. I was starving, and I couldn't wait to eat. It felt so weird, yet wonderful, knowing that I knew absolutely no one in Delhi. It was a chance to meet new people, make new friends and...

EAT FOOD!

I saw my favourite sweet delight being sold on a street corner. I made a beeline for the cart, pulling out some of whatever little money I had with me. The lady smiled, handing me a poli, a delicious, sweet pastry. I stuffed it in my mouth in one go, before regretting it and attempting not to choke myself. Down a few blocks, Chai tea was being served. I had 3 cups, before setting out to another market.

After 2 days of eating street food, I saw an elderly woman drinking tea out of a beautiful porcelain cup.

"Wow, your china is stunning."

She smiled at me, "Why thank you, Beta. It's been passed down my family, for many generations, and now I have the privilege of drinking from it. Tell me, you aren't from around here?"

I smiled, "No, let me tell you how I ended up in this wonderful city..."

I ended up spending the whole day, telling this elderly woman my story.

"My goodness. Such a big story for such a small girl."

I laughed lightly, "Yeah. Thank you for your time. It's been wonderful meeting you. And the tarts were delicious, I wish I could make my own."

The old woman smiled at me, a sparkle in her eye, "But you could."

I decided to take the old lady's advice and I enrolled in a 1 week cooking course.

"Welcome! Welcome! It's wonderful to see new, fresh faces! Before I teach you the art of fine cooking, I must get to know you all!" Chef Maslan yelled happily.

I listened on to people telling their life stories. One person wanted to cook for their wife, another person didn't want to eat dhall anymore, another person wanted to take up a new hobbie.

"What about you?"

I looked up, all eyes on me.

"Eh, well, my name is Seraphina Swagger-"

Everyone gave me confused looks.

"I'm not from around here. My parents are originally from India."

A woman spoke up, "Are you on holiday?"

Saying it out aloud will help you let it go.

"No. You see, I left my job in America to move to Hawaii. I wanted a fresh start. After 3 months, things took a turn. Let's just say I fell in love and it didn't work out. So here I am, in a cooking class just because I've eating all the poli I could."

Chef Maslan smiled, "Ah, a journey to discover oneself. How wise."

I merely smiled back.

We started out with the basics: how to boil rice, how to flavour it and serve it. After that we were taught how to make some additions. I learnt how to make curries I never knew existed. The deserts were the best. Colourful sweets and delicious nibbles were made and shared. My favourite part was the eating, of course.

While we cooked and dined, I told my new friends about my travels, about the people I saved and the risks I took. They were so captivated by my stories that we ended up staying at the class 2 more hours than we should have!

On the last day, we all received certificates, and even took a picture together. I bought a small bag to store these in. I was walking out of the class when Chef Maslan stopped me, "Seraphina! I must tell you something before you go!"

I turned around, "Yes? Oh no, this better not be about the spoon I broke, " I giggled a bit, remembering the incident.

"No, no. I wanted to give you some advice: give what you get."

I cocked my head, confused, "Don't know what that means, but thank you. For the cooking and the advice."

I placed my hands together and bowed, before setting off to the little inn I was staying in.

That night, I had one of the best sleeps ever. I was at peace, dreaming about all the food I could make. That was when Chef Maslan's words dawned upon me.

I spent my last day making every food I had learnt to cook. It took the entire day. One hour before I was set to leave, I went around Delhi handing out the food to people on the street. They smiled and thanked me many times, children danced around with the deserts, and people went home with full tummies.

It felt so fulfilling to help them.

My heart swelled as families grinned in delight, calling my food their best meal ever.

I was handing out my last trays when someone yelled out my name. I saw Kareem standing across the street, waving frantically.

I laughed, walking up to him, "Hey Kareem, I'm actually about to leave. Here, have my last tray."

"Leaving? No! I wanted you to meet my family! My sister would have loved to meet you," Kareem whined.

I smiled, putting my hand on his shoulder, "It was great meeting you. All of you guys at the cooking class, actually. But I have to continue my journey."

"I understand. Take care Seraphina Swagger, it was wonderful meeting you. We shall meet again. Namaste."

"Namaste, Kareem. And by the way, your wife is very lucky to have you."

2 hours later, I watched as Delhi disappear behind me, with the train chugging along its tracks.

What have I learnt in my first 10 days?

𝔽𝕠𝕠𝕕.

𝕀𝕥 𝕣𝕖𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕤.

ℕ𝕠𝕥 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕞𝕒𝕔𝕙.

𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕝.

✦ ✧ ✩ ✨ ✩ ✧ ✦

Yay, here's part one of the self discovery trio! Stay tuned for part 2: Pray.

Stay smooth y'all - Aunty Linika