viii. paris,france.

Yves.

I had been driving my new car for the past few days around France. Eventually, I had to pause the road races with my dad for the banquet of the new creative division in Europe for Ha Industries. We had been excited to start our direction for art directors and advocating to museum displays. He smiles proudly at me as I come out in a suit in his room at the Ritz Hotel. He pats my shoulders. "I'm so excited, Sooyoung."

My father and I never were that close, but we grew a deep respect for each other. As he noticed my love for photography, he finally accepted me for who I am as an artist. When I moved to Europe, he wanted me to be independent. And I proved to him that I could do a lot on my own with just a camera and good grades over these past few months. I trashed the portfolio idea as it was going to be done with a famous sleazy magazine. The photos were burning in his fireplace, though he didn't know it. All those girls' photos were wasted. But, hey. I had fun. It's time to have more fun. I didn't have a date because I was plotting on charming a stranger to my apartment. I checked the clock. It was time for us to go downstairs. I quickly slide into my loafers. "Dad, you know I'm Yves in Europe."

"You're Sooyoung. My Sooyoung," he says. He puts his arms around me. As cliche as it was, being a chaebol was very weird. My father had me out of wedlock with my mother. My mother did well for herself, me and my older sister. He fled to Taiwan and came back a few years later with a fortune. He was always rich, but now he had money. He was famous for his empire of entertainment and printing companies in Asia. Now, he expanded to Europe last year. I was by his side ever since he started his expansions. I became invested in the family business, though grandmother didn't recognize me or my sister. He put us on the family registry anyway. I am Ha Sooyoung. I am the director of arts in Europe, headquarters in France. He and I had become companions.

I looked at my father in a different lense. He never asked for pity or anything. He actually put forth efforts into our relationship. We became close friends in the end. So when I got to that podium and held my glass of champagne up. I looked at the crowd. All those faces looking back at me fueled my happiness. My father proudly announced me and I raised the glass into the air.

I noticed one face that stood out above the rest. Her eyes were looking at me with the same amount of shock. Her mouth was gaping open. Her hair was in two buns. We gave each other the same attention. Like we were the only two on the room. She held my gaze amongst the crowd with the most emotion. Between anger, longing, and confusion, her eyes were on my calm ones.

Kim Jiwoo. My first love. My only love. The girl I used to take on dates. The girl who stayed at my house when she got into fights with her brother. I snook through her window and kissed her lips for the first time. The girl who I said "I love you" to about a million times. I damn near lost my shit.

"My daughter, Yves Ha is managing the arts part of the European sector of my company...."

She grabs onto Max and Max is looking up at me with a proud look on his face. I noticed how vulnerable Jiwoo looked. She looked like she desperately needed this person...like this person was her security guard. I felt like an evil villain. My heart fell to my feet and I can feel it beating heavily in the soles. As I walk over to the food tables, models greeted me with excitement. I grinned warmly at them all, but my eyes remained to Jiwoo. She was working hard to avoid my gaze. I can see her tightly holding onto Max's arm. I never seen her act this scared since high school. But, it was never this submissive. I muster up some courage and walk up to the couple. "Hey, Max..."

"Yo, man. I'm so proud of you!" Max says. "Ah...this is my treasure....Yves...meet Jiwoo Kim."

I grin at Jiwoo, trying to hide my shaking heart. "Pleased to meet you, Miss Kim."

She looks away and then plays with some fuzz on Max's sweater. I chuckle softly. But, then I got really jealous. This just dawned on me. Max was talking about getting to know Jiwoo. This Jiwoo. My Jiwoo. The one I loved so dearly through my youth. The one I let get away. Who let me get away. Max gives Jiwoo a dirty look and she tries to speak to me. She looks down at her shoes. "He-hi...Yves."

"Don't act like you don't know me," I try to laugh. But, my throat is closing down on my pride. My usual aloof personality now breaks down in front of her. I used to be so carefree. But this girl right here. The girl holding onto someone else's arm. "Max, Jiwoo and I went to high school together." I breathed in heavily and felt my chest tighten up. I still haven't let Jiwoo go.

"You never told me!" Max says, lightly pushing her shoulder. She frowned. "Small word, eh?" I hurt her so bad. I...should have never even left.

All these regrets swarm to my heart and now I can hardly even process my emotions. "Too small," I utter under my breath. I can't take my eyes off of her. Jiwoo, indeed was different. From the lipstick to the hair. She carried herself like the world was on her shoulders. I looked at Max who was trying to get his control back. I immediately sensed something was off between them. Max excused them as him and Jiwoo went off somewhere. I followed, ditching my plate into a trash can. I heard my father call, but I ignored, trying to see what they were doing. I saw them in a corridor, Max's hands around Chuu's slender waist, pulling her close. I swallowed, my fists clenching.

I had to leave when I noticed his lips press against hers. I couldn't bare to watch the rest. I went back to the banquet, not bothering to associate for the rest of the night.