Chapter 7 - Motherly Talk

The second I had turned the lock the woman came in just to find me on the floor. I buried my head in my knees and felt ashamed of myself. I could feel the gaze she had on me and I heard the door closing again. The lock turned and I felt the warmth of her body come closer. I realized she must've sat down beside me cause she laid an arm around me. I jumped at the touch but I didn't pull away.

"What's wrong, dear?" she asked in a surprisingly motherly voice.

I never could've imagined she would try to comfort me as a mother. I was nothing she would want as a daugter. I shook my head as a response to her question, I didn't want to talk about it, and I sure as hell didn't want anyone at all to know my story.

"Katherine, look at me" the woman demanded.

I thought about not doing what she said but then I thought about what consequenses that could make so I peeked up at her. She had caring in her eyes.

"I want to help you, that's all we ever wanted, but you have to tell us what's wrong" she said and my eyes started to sting.

I blinked a few times but it didn't stop my eyes to tear up. Before I even knew it the tears ran down my cheeks. The woman wiped them away and hugged me to her side.

"Listen, I don't know if you can see it but, my son looks at you in a way that I've never seen him look at someone before, and that's not because you are homeless at the moment but because he sees the beautiful woman you are, cause believe me, you are a beautiful woman. Even I can see that" the woman said and smiled at me.

I couldn't help but smile small back at her. She really felt like a safe person to talk to, but I wouldn't. I wouldn't let myself re-live all those horrible memories.

"Thank you, uhm... I don't even know what to call you" I said low.

"Sorry, it's Martha" she said and her smile got a little bigger.

"Well, ehm, thank you, Martha, but I can't do all of this. I'm not like you, I don't belong here. I am not someone who's supposed to be here, I appreciate everything you've done but I-I can't accept it. You shouldn't throw away time because of me, you should live your lives and just forget you ever met me" I said and I tried to continue but Martha cut me off.

"Don't you ever say that about yourself ever again. You are a beautiful woman and you do belong here" when she saw the look I gave her she added "I know, I know, you don't believe so but it is the truth. And the three of us we want you to stay, not because we feel sorry for you but because we want to get to know you."

I looked at him with a look that told her I didn't believe anything about that. She sighed and stood up.

"Come on, if you don't believe me, then let us proove it by helping you" she said and reached out her hand towards me.

I remained seated on the floor, looking up at her.

"These clothes, I look... I-I can't" I stuttered.

"Don't be ridiculous, dear. You'll look beautiful no matter what, cause you really wanna know what makes a woman beautiful?" she asked and I nodded. "Her smile and her inner glow she gets from the happiness" she explained.

She stretched out her hand a little more and smiled a motherly smile at me. My lips turned into a smile and I bit my lower lip. I took her hand and she helped me up on my feet.

"Now, let's get these clothes of yours in the washer machine, or at least the ones which doesn't have holes in it" she said and took my dirty clothes and unlocked the door. "See you in the living room, ta-ta" she said and walked out the bathroom.