Chapter 13 - News

"Miss, either you call the police or I do" the man said and even though I could see how it seemed like a good call from his point of view it sounded like a threat to me.

"No, it's okay, I'll just go there, everything is fine" I said and tried to hide my panic.

How long had my face been on the news? How many had seen my picture and how many had seen me here? I started to walk away from the man but he stopped me.

"I would like to either hear you call or walk with you to the police station, so I know for sure you won't run along" the man said and held out his phone again.

I took it and mumbled a 'fine'. I saw he had already pushed in the numbers I was going to call so I just pushed the green phone.

"Hello?" Rick answered in the phone.

"I'm fine" I breathed into the phone.

"Kate?! Where are you?! Why did you just leave?!" Rick yelled in the phone.

He was obviously angry but I could also hear a certain pain in his voice. I looked at the man standing in front of me, he observed my face.

"Look, take down that picture, as soon as you can. And stop worrying, I'll be alright" I said as casual as I could to not make the man think I would just leave again.

"Kate, I'm not taking down that picture until you're here sitting down beside me, telling me everything you don't think I need to know" Rick said and I moaned in frustration.

In the background I could hear someone asking something and getting closer.

"Yes it is, she wants us to take down the picture, but I told her that's not gonna happen until she's here" Rick told the other person.

"Ok, fine, I'll come. Where are you?" I gave up.

"At the twelfth precinct, you know where you sat behind bars yesterday?" he answered and I sighed.

"I'll be there, the second I come you delete that image, deal?" I said harsh.

"Deal" Rick answered and I hung up.

I gave back the phone to the man and I steered my feet towards the twelfth precinct. I still halted even though I did my best not to. My foot hurt so badly and I couldn't get rid of the pain infiltrating my thoughts. I tried to look down and avoid as much notice as I could. It was probably already too late. Now I was dead. Definitely dead. Hopefully Rick wouldn't get into trouble. I needed to make him take distance somehow. But I didn't know how. He had been interested in me even though I was dirty, even though I didn't have a home.

As I reached the doors to the police precinct I stood there for a few seconds taking deep breaths. Trying to build up the courage to walk inside.

"Excuse me, are you...?" a woman started asking and I glared at her.

Seriously?!

"Yes, I'm Kate Beckett, I'm alright and on my way to the police" I said and the woman quieted.

As she walked away I took one last deep breath before stepping into the precinct.

"Kate! You came, thank god" Rick came running from the elevators and he embraced me into a big hug.

"Take my photo down" I whispered.

I was trying to keep it strictly professional. If that was even possible to call it that way when a homeless was trying not to become emotionally involved. He pulled away and looked down at me, but I kept my vision straight forward. I knew that if I would look him in the eyes I would most definitely fall apart.