Chapter 14 - Hunted

"Senator Bracken?!" all of them exclaimed in shock.

I just kept my mouth shut. How the hell could I have been so stupid? Why didn't I just grab one of their guns and pull the trigger myself?

"Kate, is that the one who's hunting you?" Rick asked with a doubting face.

"N-n-no, I-I was just... I..." since I stuttered and didn't fool anyone I shut my mouth again.

"Why is he after you?" the Irish-like cop said.

"Just forget it, leave it alone. Leave me alone" I stated and raised from the couch.

As soon as I put weight on my right foot a bumped down on the couch again grimacing from pain. Rick put his hands on my shoulders, in a try to comfort me I guessed.

"Is there any way we can prove he's after her?" Rick asked the two cops.

"Not sure, but we need a lot more than her words to take him down" the military-cop said.

"No" I said and they all looked at me. "Stop, just no. There's nothing. Just forget I said anything, hell, forget I was even here" I argued.

I shrugged Rick's hands off of me and raised up again. This time with not so much weight on my right foot. I started walking towards the door but before I could reach it Rick's arms swooped me up bridal style. I let go of a surprised scream and he turned towards the two cops and the medical examiner.

"Nobody but us can know this, and if anyone asks where she is" he nodded against me in his arms "you have no idea. All you know is that her picture was to be taken down and that she was back home. Start digging a little what Bracken's been up to, I'll take her home to make sure she doesn't step on her foot plus I have a licensed gun at home in case someone would give it a try" he said and to my surprised they all nodded in agreement.

Rick started carrying me out the room and I could once again feel gazes on me. I sighed of relief once we were in the elevator and the doors were closed.

"Why are you doing this? Why are you helping me?" I mumbled.

"Because I really like you" Rick answered and I looked at my hands on my stomach.

"You don't know me" I mumbled lower.

"Okay then, I feel a connection to you that I've never felt with anyone else" he said and I felt him staring at me.

I didn't meet his gaze. I had felt that connection too. But I was afraid of it. I didn't know what it meant. The elevator doors finally opened and he carried me to a car on the street, if I didn't mistaken it was a Ferrari. He put me down in the passenger seat and jumped into the driver's seat. He started the engine and took off.

We were silent the whole way and when he drove into the garage I somehow felt my body relax. He killed the engine and jumped out of the car coming around it to my side. He opened the door and I jumped out before he could pick me up.

"I can walk on my own" I said and he gave me a doubtful look. "I can" I said trying to convince him.

I closed the car door and I started halting towards the elevator. His footsteps came closer and to my surprise he didn't swoop me up like he had done earlier. He just put his arm around my waist trying to support me without actually carrying me. When we got into the elevator I leant towards the wall and he let go of me.

"Thank you... for everything" I whispered looking down at the floor, not wanting to make a big deal out it.

"Always" he said and I looked up at him.