Chapter 12 - Secrets

"What do you mean 'end up dead'?" the woman asked carefully and if I didn't mistaken she sounded a little afraid.

I watched her surprised face before I looked at Rick who had a mirroring face.

"Kate, what do you mean? Are you in some kind of trouble?" Rick broke the silence.

I bit my lip and slowly nodded.

"Like I said, I'm trouble, that's why I don't want you to care about me. I don't want you to have the same fate as me" I said in a low voice, it was almost a whisper.

To my annoyance I started crying. I didn't sob, didn't make a sound but my tears was unstoppable while streaming down my face.

"You see, there's a reason I'm homeless, there's a reason I stay hidden on a rooftop not many people can climb up to. There's always a reason" I explained and I heard my voice quiver.

"Who's after you honey? I can make sure they won't get to you, I have friends at the precinct I work with" the woman said with a sweet voice.

I sighed loudly and I felt the confusing gaze from the woman.

"Don't you think I've tried? Don't you think that was the first thing I tried to do? To put him behind bars? It's not gonna happen, that's why I disappeared" I said, like it was something obvious.

The woman looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Kate, you need to tell us" Rick said softly, he placed one of his hands on my arm.

He made small circles and every touch felt like clouds touching my skin.

"I don't want you to know, I don't want your lives on my conscious" I said and the woman got a bright smile on her face.

"Would it feel better having cops here? I can call my friends and then they can come and..."

"No!" I cut her off with a loud yell and she went completely quiet, looking at me with big round brown eyes.

"Why not? Kate, talk to me" Rick said and I looked at him.

I raised to sitting position and shook my head violently. I realized I was acting like a stubborn child but I didn't care.

"You don't understand, that's why I have to leave, because you don't understand the danger in me being here" I said and I tried to move to the other side of the bed so I could sneak away but Rick put an arm around my waist and pulled me towards him.

He hugged me, thanks to my try my back was towards him. I felt his face leaning in my hair.

"Listen, you won't get rid of him, believe me. And you won't get rid of me either. The moment he called me and asked me to look at your foot, I got involved with this and I won't leave you, especially not now when I know you're in danger" the woman said and I let go of a frustrated sound.

I heard the woman raise and she went towards the bedroom door.

"Castle? Can I talk to you?" she asked and I felt Rick's lips on my head before he unwrapped his arms from me and walked after the woman out the door.

Once they had closed it I looked around. I had to get away from here. It didn't matter that my heart told me to stay. My head told me to run. Run before it was too late. Too late for them to survive this. I found a window and as quietly as possible I got out of the bed. I flinched at the pain shooting through my foot and I bit my inner cheek to make sure I wouldn't give up a sound. I halted towards the window and I slowly opened it, I could hear them talk on the other side of the door. I couldn't make out what they were saying but I could hear their voices. Since I couldn't stand properly on my right foot I sat down on the window frame and then scooted my legs over it. I had been lucky, there was a fire escape so I stood up and pushed down the window again. I knew I wouldn't be able to go fast so I needed every second I could get. Hopefully they would think I went to the bathroom or something like that, and not look for me outside the building. I started climbing down the ladder and the pain was killing me. When I was down I heard the window crack open and I quickly pushed my back towards the building's wall.