Chapter 20 - Someplace Safe

Once the elevator doors opened and we had gotten into the loft I let go of the breath I didn't even knew was holding in. Martha and Alexis immediately went into their rooms and started packing for their trip to Paris. Rick still held my hand and dragged me towards his bedroom, once we got inside he let go of my hand and walked towards his closet.

"If you see anything you like of my clothes then just take it out and leave it on the bed. We can't risk going out shopping too much so we need everything we can get" he said and I looked at him while he threw shirts, pants and underwear on the bed.

I didn't quite know what to do, he did tell me to search through his clothes but it felt wrong. What if he had something he didn't want me to see? Or what if I took one of the shirts and it turned out he didn't want me wearing it?

"Kate" Rick sighed and dragged me out of my thoughts.

I looked up and him and he waved me to come to him. I went towards him and when I was there he pointed to his drawers.

"I have nothing to hide, and I mean it, take anything as long as you like it" he said and I looked into his ocean blue eyes.

I nodded and he pulled out his drawer with shirts and I started looking through it while he went and got bags to pack the clothes in. I found a red button shirt and I took it up and threw it on the bed. Further down I found a green shirt, I took it up and looked at it. If I was not mistaken it had a green lanthern symbol on it and I smiled. So, he was a marvel fan? I threw it on the bed and Rick looked up at me and I smiled at him. He smiled back before packing down the green shirt. I moved along and took a few more shirts and then took out some of his sweatpants. I decided to steal one of his sweaters too because I really thought they were comfortable, and when I was done we walked to the living room where Martha and Alexis stood.

"You two take a cab, here's some money" Rick said and pulled out a bunch money handing over to his mother.

She nodded and I looked at Rick with confused eyes. Where did he get that much money from? We walked out the door and I insisted on holding one of the two bags Rick had packed and he must've seen the determination in my eyes because he gave me the bag without much arguing. Once we came to the loby Martha turned to me.

"It was nice meeting you, be safe, okay?" she said and she hugged me.

"I'll try, have a good time in Paris" I said and hugged her back awkwardly.

When she let me go she turned to Rick and Alexis opened up her arms. I bent down and took her in my embrance. I hugged her tight and she hugged me as tight back.

"See you soon, love you mom" she whispered the last part in my ear and I got tears in my eyes.

She didn't know me, and yet she called me mom. How could this be possible?

"Keep her safe, darling" I heard Martha whisper and I figured I wasn't supposed to hear it but my heart melted by how it seemed like everyone here already saw me as family.

I had never met such amazing people. We let go and walked different ways. Martha holding Alexis's hand towards the place where the cabs usually stopped and me and Rick towards the parking garage.

"How come you guys are so nice to me?" I asked and before he could open up his mouth I added "and not now, I mean from the start, you've all been nice from the start even though I'm just a hom..."

"Was" he cut me off and I looked at him.

"What?" I said confused.

"Was, as in was a homeless, you're not anymore. You're with us now" he said and I tried to hide the small smile that crept on my lips and the blush I felt on my cheeks.