Chapter 16 - Update

I woke up to someone stroking their hand up and down my back, making me shiver. I recognized who the touch belonged to, mostly because of the way it made me feel. And the fact that I could smell him, since I had my head on his chest, made it even more obvious. I slowly opened my eyelids and peeked up at him.

"Morning beautiful" he whispered and kissed my head.

I couldn't help but giggle at that.

"Morning" I said with a small smile on my lips.

I closed my eyes again and snuggled closer into his body. I breathed in his calming scent.

"How are you?" Rick asked and I peeked up at him with a raised eyebrow. "You seemed to have a bad dream in the middle of tonight, I don't know if you remember it" he explained.

"Oh" I breathed and my smile disappeared from my lips.

I looked down, avoiding his eyes. I actually did remember that nightmare. It was the same as it always was. His hand started making circles on my back again and I closed my eyes, enjoying his touch.

"You're gonna tell me what it's about?" he asked me and I felt his lips kiss my hair.

I sighed and took a deep breath.

"It's nothing new, it's... it's the same I have every night, don't worry" I mumbled and started moving my fingers in circles on his chest.

"You can talk to me, when you're ready of course" Rick assured me and I felt his lips again.

I hummed, "I know."

Suddenly the door opened and I quickly pulled the blanket over my head, hiding.

"Dad! I can't find..." Alexis came in shouting but her voice died. "Kate? You're in here? Thank god! I thought you had left" the little girl said sounding sad.

I felt Rick trying to hold in a chuckle and I hit his chest before peeking up from under the blanket.

"Nope, still here, sweetie" I said carefully.

I could see a small smile form on the little girl's face and she jumped up in the bed. I moved away from Rick and the little redhead crawled down between us.

"How long have you been up pumpkin?" Rick asked and Alexis looked at him.

"I woke up about an hour ago, I decided to stay in bed and read some. When I decided to go up I went to see if Kate was awake yet but when I got to the guest room she wasn't there" she turned her small head towards me. "I thought you had gone away again, please don't go away, please please please" she begged and her eyes looked into mine with a sad puppy face.

I knew I couldn't promise her anything. I didn't want them to get hurt, especially not this little girl, and even if it was her dad who got hurt she would be hurt too. If that happened she would blame me once she got older and understood that it would be my fault. It hurt my heart to think of this little girl, Alexis, as a parentless walking around and maybe even end up haunted lite myself. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't let her father risk his life for me. But yet, I couldn't leave. I just couldn't. Not anymore. I was way into deep with them. I cared for them, and I knew that if I went away it would break their hearts as much as it would break mine. I had no freaking idea what I should do. I glanced at Rick and he looked at me with eyes begging me to stay. If his friends at the police was helping us, maybe it could work. Maybe we could at least be safe. Maybe we could be together, and not risking our lives every second being seen outside. I looked down at the little redhead again and after som more thought I nodded.

"I won't. As long as it's not dangerous I promise I will stay" I said looking into her eyes.

Her eyes got a glimpse of happiness and her arms flung around my neck. She hugged me tight and whispered in my ear.