Chapter 12: Andalusia, Spain

A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.

-George A. Moore

Diego Suarez's POV

I stood at the iron steps of the aircraft preparing to leave. I was greeted by the warmth of the Spanish sun and the cloudless blue sky. I watched Lucia Salazar slowly descending in front of me from the iron steps of the airplane as we arrived finally in Spain to attend her mother's birthday party this weekend.

I was about to follow her when a shiny heavily tinted black car parked on the tarmac. I just realized how powerful and influential her family was to be able to grant such privilege to have your chauffeur picked you personally from the runaway of the airport. It made me grasped the realization that she's way out of my league.

For a moment while living in Paris with her. It made me forget that she's the average woman you met every day. Back in Spain, everything was different. She's practically a princess here where everything was at her fingertips. Where her family name was synonymous with power.

I saw Lucia stopped momentarily from her tracks when the driver went out of the car. She shook her head in resignation upon seeing the flashy car. I could almost imagine how pissed she was at her brother for the unwanted committee.

I sighed deeply. There's no reason to feel apprehensive with the harsh slap of realization. I must remember that she's off-limits to me forever. I was about to ride beside the chauffeur when the passenger's door also open with another man.

Great, I said with a lack of enthusiasm. The freaking chauffer brought another bodyguard with him. The last thing I wanted was to be trapped at the back of the car sitting next to Lucia. Why fate does love to torture me like this?

"Welcome back, Señorita Lucia." The chauffeur greeted with a warm smile on his face. He's been working for the Conde for years. "Good to see you again, Diego."

I nodded in acknowledgment as he opened the passenger's door at the back of the car for Lucia while I slid inside the car from the other door. I tried to seat comfortably beside Lucia but it was damn difficult when her scent invaded my senses.

This was going to be a long and uncomfortable ride—at least, on my part. Since I was sitting for the next few minutes too close for my comfort with the woman I desperately trying to put on a good distance to me. Because if she became too close to me the unthinkable might happened that I would surely regret.

So I just stared outside my window praying to the good Lord that there would be no traffic and we'll arrive at their hacienda before I lost my self-control and do something really stupid inside this car.

Thankfully, our driver was skilled in avoiding the roads that were filled with tourists. Our drive going to their estate was smooth. I couldn't help but reminisce in the past when we finally entered the private leading to their hacienda. I never thought I would be back from this place. The same place I decided to leave because of this woman who was ironically sitting next to me as we went back to the place where we first met years ago.

After few more minutes, we finally arrived at the huge iron gate of their estate. When the driver pulled in front of the imposing castle the queen of this place went out with a baby in her hand. She beamed brightly upon seeing our car.

"Finally, you are here." She said with glinting green eyes, as we went out of the car. "I thought it would take forever before you arrive."

"What's with the cavalcade at the airport?" Lucia accused her sister-in-law as soon as she had the chance to rebuke her.