Chapter 23: The Engagement

An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself.

-Jane Austen

FLASHBACK...

Lucia Salazar's POV

"Who is pregnant again?" Just when I just told Diego about my pregnancy my brother and his wife showed up here in Paris. I couldn't believe my eyes it was as if my nightmare just came to life. What were they doing here?

For a moment, I was speechless staring at them in the doorway of my workroom. I glanced at Diego who mirrored my reaction.

"I ask again, who is pregnant again?" Leandro repeated his question when the room remained silent. "Who is the father of your child?"

I was still reeling at the fact that he showed up here without notice when another familiar voice join the conversation. "I am. I am the father of his child."

Leandro threw a foul look at the man who just arrives. I temporarily closed my eyes couldn't believe what was happening in my life right now. Suddenly, I wanted to sick. "Who the bloody hell are you?"

"I am Jacques Montcalm and I am dating your sister." He said straightly to my brother's eyes. "I'm going to marry her."

My brother nodded in agreement, glancing briefly at me and Diego. "Good. I'm expecting an engagement party in Spain next week."

"What?" I asked indecorously. "You can't be serious, Leandro!" I glared at Jacques who just spouted nonsense in front of my brother. "What are you talking about?"

"Lucia..." My sister-in-law started.

"He's not the father of my child!" I informed them hotly, I started to feel my growing headache.

"If he's not the father of you child as he claims you is it?" Leandro asked in an irritated tone. "Who is the father of your child?"

I glanced at Diego who remained silent until now. When he didn't make a move to speak the truth to Leandro. I stared at my brother's infiltrating eyes. "He's..."

"That's enough, sir." Jacques put in, coming closer to my side. "It's not best for her to have so much stress with her pregnancy and all. I am still willing to marry her if she'll have me."

"Very well," My idiot brother said after a moment. "There will be an engagement in Spain next week." He looked directly at me. "You, young lady. You are coming back home with me today. You need to prepare for your engagement."

"Leandro!" His wife objected to his autocratic approached with this matter. He cannot just do this to me—planned my life, that is.

He stopped his wife's complaint with a hand. "I'll handle this, mi amor."

"But..." I protested hotly.

"That's okay, Miss Lucia." Diego finally spoke, his eyes remained blank staring at me suddenly I want to cry. "You should come back with them. You will be safe when you are in the estate under your brother's protection."

I gasped at his words that cut straight to my heart. Was that a subtle way of pushing me away? I always knew he doesn't want a child. Suddenly, I felt I was about to cry but I held myself in check. I need to be strong for my baby.

****

Why does it turn out like this? I asked myself miserably. It's been a whole week since that incident happened and here I was sitting on my dresser mirror getting ready for my engagement party but I couldn't feel anything but slowly dying inside.