Chapter 32: The Outcome

Winning and losing isn't everything; sometimes, the journey is just as important as the outcome.

-Alex Morgan

Lucia Salazar's POV

I knew the moment I woke up smelling the sterile sheets, hearing the machines near my bed, and seeing my room for the first time I knew instantly what I had lost.

"About time you wake up, my child." I tried to focus my gaze on the woman sitting beside the hospital bed. The grateful but sad smile of my mother confirmed my worst fear. "How are you feeling?"

"Cold."

My mother pulled up the cover even higher on my body. "There. Do you need anything else, Lucia? You lost a lot of blood from your accident the doctor advised you should take complete rest to recover."

I shook my head, putting my arms over my eyes as the tears threaten to fall. I should have asked my mama about it but I fear I don't dare to do so since mentioning my 'accident'. I dread that I knew the answer before even asking her. "Mama..."

"What is it, sweetheart?" I heard the gentle voice of my mother. "Do you want something? Just tell mama and I will get it for you."

"A-About...m-my baby..." I was aware of the hard pounder in my chest as I tried to ask my mama about it. Part of me was still hoping that I was wrong that I got it wrong that—everything that happened was just a bad dream.

I felt my mother's soothing voice as she caress my head gently. "Don't worry about that for now, Lucia. What is important is that you are safe. By the way, you are in the private hospital here in Provence and your brother wants you to be airlifted to Spain as soon as you are okay to travel so you recuperate home."

So my initial thought had been correct. I have been empty on the inside. I lost my unborn child when I fell on the staircase in the manor of Jacques' family. I stared at my mother preventing my tears from falling. "Where is he?"

Probably understand who I meant mama smiled affectionately in my direction continue to stroke my hair. "Do you want me to fetch him? I'm sure he's eager to see you. He was so worried to death when they rush you here but he and your brother are needed to the police station for their statement about your abduction."

"No!" I said hastily. "Please...I don't want to see him."

My mother's eyebrow drew together. "Why not, my daughter? I thought he is the one you want to see once you wake up."

"He will never forgive me after what happened," I confessed to my mother helplessly. "I lost our baby because I became reckless when they tried to save me. How can I look him in the eye again?"

"Diego will never blame you for the accident." My mother informed me, her eyes also misted with moisture. "It's not your fault that you accidentally fell on the staircase. Don't ever think that it's your fault."

"B-But it's the truth."

"Lucia..."

This time tears fell on my cheeks, as my vision of my mama started to blur. I knew she was just saying that to ease my conscience about losing my baby. But I knew well that it was my fault if I just carefully deal with the situation thinking about my unborn child's safety first before anything...but how could I do that when I fear for Diego's safety since there was a gun that was pointed at him.

"Listen to me, Lucia." My mother said, taking my cold hand in her. I could feel the warmth from her hand. "I don't want you to think that it's your fault. Are we clear? I know that you and Diego have a lot to say to one another so..."