Chapter 25: The Uproar

There is nothing stable in the world; uproar's your only music.

-John Keats

Leila Salazar's POV

The news of Lucia just run away from her engagement tonight spread like wildfire at this boring party. I watched my husband animatedly as he tried to calm that French man at the news that his bride-to-be had run away minutes before they announce to the elite Spanish society about their impending nuptials.

"He's an odd little fellow." Marco Orsini commented, looking at the man my sister-in-law was supposed to marry.

"What do you mean?" I raised an eyebrow and stared curiously at him. Right now, I was standing with my sister, her husband, and their friends. I almost didn't come down for this party but Laila convinced me otherwise. She said it was not a good idea if I didn't show up to this boring festivity and people would start to assume that I didn't approve of the match. Which was true!

The Italian man's eyes glinted with cynicism. "I mean, if I were him once I learned that my fiancée run away in our engagement party I would immediately search for her I will not rest until I find her but look at him. He was insisting on calling the police for help."

"You are correct," My brother-in-law, Nikos had agreed to sip his wine casually looking at the man in question. "If I were him I would turn the earth upside down just to find her. I will not wait for the authorities before I made my move."

"See? Even my good-for-nothing friend agrees with me which is very rare as Painite."

"What the hell is Painite?" Nikos asked with a frown mark on his eyebrows.

Marco grinned at his friend. "Earth rarest gemstone."

"I feel sorry for Leandro," Laila said gravely, she focused her gaze on me. "Leila I think you need to help your husband to calm that poor man. He just lost his fiancée tonight maybe he needs a word of reassurance."

I frowned at my twin sister. "Like hell, I would help him after he deliberately kept me in the dark with his plan. He had me worry for the whole week I thought he suddenly had a change of mind about our plan."

"What plan?"

My lips curved with a smile as I stared at Laila's questioning look. "Ah, that's a secret, sis."

"Is this the after-party entertainment? Or perhaps you guys are already gossiping at the sudden turn of events this evening?" It was Rafe's wife who spoke behind us. She and Rafe were approaching us. I never thought I would be happy to see Rafe's face in my life. Living here in Spain sometimes I couldn't help but miss the old town of Ragusa and the people's familiar faces.

"The latter, dear," I answered her cheerfully.

"But where on earth did your sister-in-law go?" Tatiana Cavelli asked, her violet eyes filled with worry. "Why would she run on the same night of her engagement? I hope she will be safe wherever she is right now."

"She probably has her reasons, mia moglie." Her husband, Lucca glanced down at his wife with an affectionate smile on his aristocratic face.

"Reasons or whatever. Leandro already had a premonition that this scenario would happen when we had a quick chat in his study a while ago." Marco inserted smugly. "That man is doing his job in recruiting new members for our club while the rest of you failed in doing so. Such a shame his first try was a failure to meet the criteria."

"Be serious will you, Signore?" His wife reprimanded him. But the man merely grins lovingly at his Francesca.

I stared at my husband who was still in a deep and slightly heated conversation with the French guy. They were on the other side of the lawn. I studied my husband who was taking this whole situation with such calmness in him it was as if like Marco had said that he somehow anticipated that this would happen...