Chapter 27: The Happiness

Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. There's going to be stress in life, but it's your choice whether you let it affect you or not.

-Valerie Bertinelli

Lucia Salazar's POV

It's been a week since Diego took me to his hometown. In that short time, I got to know his mother and his adorable sisters who accepted me as Diego's wife in no time. During those days they often gave us enough space always claiming they would visit a good friend or they would visit Diego's aunt in the nearby town. I think they were just doing that so Diego and I would have some time alone.

Like today they were all leaving the house and probably wouldn't be back until dinner time. I glanced discreetly at Diego while we sat on the porch enjoying a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice enjoying the warm sun early in the morning.

Two days ago Diego and I went to see the local doctor and have my first check-up. My heart was thumping in my chest as I lay on the bed and the doctor examine me. She reassured me that the baby was doing fine and he seems to be healthy inside my womb. I couldn't be happier at the news and as soon as we arrived home we told his family about the good news they were so delighted.

"Where do you think they did go today?" I asked him conversationally when they all left once again.

He looked at me with a boyish grin on his handsome face. "Who cares? As long as they are not bothering us I'm fine with this set-up."

I threw a disapproving frown in his direction. "I couldn't help but feel guilty about this. I mean, I know they must be doing this so we could have time alone but I can't help to wonder if they are fine while waiting for dinner time so they could come home."

"Don't worry about them..."

He surprised me when he suddenly scooped me out of my chair and place me in his lap. I tried to look horrified. "Diego!"

"What?" He had the nerve to ask so innocently. "My family is not around this should be fine. Besides, I've been wanting to do this since we arrive here. There is no improvement in our relationship since the Paris days."

I eyed him shrewdly. "And whose fault is that? Since we arrived here you didn't make a move on me again. I thought you are embarrassed to your family."

"You are pregnant." He said reasonably. "I tried my very best to keep my hands off you. You don't have any idea how I am awake at night preventing myself from touching you when you slept soundly next to me."

My eyes widened at his revelation. "Are you serious?"

"Of course, you must know by now that I can't keep my hands off you but I had to since you are already pregnant with our child. I don't want to harm the baby."

I stared at him for a moment before burst out laughing. "Didn't you listen to the doctor during our first scan? I don't have a high-risk pregnancy so making love won't do any harm with the baby." I looked up heavenward feeling shy about this conversation. "Jesus, now I sounded like I am seducing you which I am not, mind you."

Diego grinned devilishly in my direction. He tightened his arms around my waist as he drew me closer to his body. "I don't mind you seducing me for a change, my darling."

"No." I refused him flatly, though my eyes danced with delight seeing his reaction. "I don't want to seduce you in a broad daylight. What if your neighbor will see us? It's so embarrassing."

"What about tonight?" He suggested with the same devilish glint in his eyes.

I looked at him coyly. "That can be arranged, I think."