Chapter 18: The Seduction

It is your work in life that is the ultimate seduction.

Pablo Picasso

Leila Salazar's POV

"I assume that the shopping expedition is a success," I announced as soon as Lucia and her handsome but prudish bodyguard arrived in the estate. I must admit I've been waiting for them for an hour to show up. I didn't expect that they would spend the whole day in town.

From the pink stain on my sister-in-law's cheeks, I assume that they were finally making progress in their relationship. "Good evening, Leila." She murmured demurely.

I stood at the porch with an eloquent smile on my face. From the corner of my eyes, I saw the prim and proper bodyguard took to unload the piles of fabric from the car. Lucia was not lying when she said she wants to buy textile.

These two were trying so hard to avoid each other's eye contact so I couldn't suspect anything in the improvement from their association. I hid my smile they might fool the rest of the world but not me. "Good evening, Diego. I hope my sister-in-law didn't give you hard time the whole day dragging you around the city buying for fabrics like there's no tomorrow."

"Good evening too, Your Excellency." He muttered softly, still avoiding my gaze. My eyes lit with pleasure when this straitlaced man moved closer to Lucia and whispered something in her ears. I couldn't miss the way Lucia's eyes widened before her bodyguard left us without as much as a goodbye.

"What's with the whisper thing all about?" I asked Lucia, as we look silently to the retreating form of Diego.

The blush in her cheeks suggested that he whisper something naughty. "Oh, nothing important. He says if I need anything I shall call him."

It was on the tip of my tongue to gently point out to my dear sister-in-law that she can't fool easily. There's no way I would believe her. "Is that so?" I asked sanguinely. "Then we'd better go inside dinner is almost ready. Come."

I led her inside the manor while the maids took her purchase inside her room. Lucia went to her room claiming she wants to take a shower before going down for dinner.

The dinner was uneventful particularly because Lucia remained silent throughout the dinnertime she didn't join in the conversation at the dinner table unless you address a direct question to her.

Once the feast was concluded, Lucia excused herself immediately claiming she's too tired with her trip in town so she would retire to bed early but I am not buying it. After Madre also retire to her bedroom. I asked Leandro and Enzo to join me in the drawing-room.

"What's with this sudden meeting, Leila?" It was my idiot cousin who ask. He was nursing a glass of whiskey my husband gave to him.

"I have a theory," I said, looking at the glass window. I could see lights illuminating outside. "I want to prove if I am correct."

"You are always correct with your scheme." Leandro chimed in, sitting behind the study table with also a glass of whiskey in his hand.

I smirked in his direction. "That's what I love about you, darling."

"I hate third-wheeling with you guys it makes me nauseous every time." Enzo made a face of somewhat disgust in our direction. "Can you at least tone down your freaking sweetness when you are in my company? Have mercy on me."

"Oh, that's pish-posh," I answered him, raising an eyebrow in my cousin's direction. "What you feel is not nausea but jealousy. Deep inside you, you also want this kind of relationship, Enzo. Why don't you find a bride of your own and make Cesare weep with happy tears."