Chapter 17: The Date

Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.

-Maya Angelou

Lucia Salazar's POV

We finally arrived in town. Diego park my Range Rover at the side of the street and before I can manage to remove my seatbelt Diego was already opening my door. I smiled at him brightly. "You do have quick reflexes, Mister."

He returned the smile with a mischievous smile on his handsome face. "It's part of the job description, Señorita."

I took the offered hand as I slid off the car with ease. I was expecting him to let go of my hand as soon as we're standing on the pavement but I was mistaken. He's still holding my hand like he has no intention of letting it go. I eyed our hands lock together it was as if our hands fitted each other very well. "So what's the plan now?" I asked the handsome man with me.

He looked down at me. Did I mention that he's still a few inches taller than me even if I was quite tall for an average woman? Many had advised me in the past to try modeling since my height would cut to be a model but I would rather make clothes than actually model them. "A nice stroll in town would be a nice start."

"Then, what are we waiting for?" I asked brightly.

He touched my cheek gently with his free hand while smiling wistfully in my eyes. I felt like he also couldn't believe it yet this progress we have. I must admit that I never thought in my lifetime that Diego and I would be like this. "You are achingly beautiful. Since the first time I saw you, I couldn't take off my eyes on you, Lucia."

My heart just melted at his words. I never thought that this stoic man could say such words to me. I nestled my cheek even more to his warm palm. "I feel the same, Diego. I thought I only have one-sided feelings."

"How can I let my feelings show when you are above my station?" He said almost bitterly. "What will people say that you are having a relationship with your brother's bodyguard?"

I scowled at him. So that's the reason why he never pursues me in the past? "Who cares what people would have to say to us?"

"I do."

I eyed him for a moment. He must be feeling insecure because he thought he was not good enough for me since I came from a well-off family. If I came from an ordinary Spanish family would it have a different outcome? I sighed deeply, there's no reason to think about that now. "Enough of the past decisions we made. Let's just enjoy what we have now."

He smiled brightly in my direction. "You are right. For now let us enjoy what we have I always dreaming of doing this with you, mi señorita."

Diego fished out his sunglasses on the breast pocket of his shirt and wore them before leading the way on the busy streets. He was devastatingly handsome when his eyes were obscure with a pair of sunglasses. Right now, he wasn't wearing his usual suit but a more casual pair of jeans and a plaid shirt since he was dragged to this sudden trip of mine.

I happened to glance at our reflection on the glass window and I stop walking, I couldn't help but smile it feels like we're any other people dating. My heart skipped happily in my chest. Goodness, are we really dating?

"What are you looking for?" Diego asked when I realized that I've been gazing at our reflection for quite some time. "Do you want to come inside?"

He was about to lead me inside the store when I stop him. "No, I am just looking at something. Let's go."

He stared at me for a moment, studying me intently. "Are you sure you don't want to come inside? Maybe you will find something interesting that you might like. My treat for our first date."