Chapter 31: The Accident

Accidents happen and all of that, but it's how we pick ourselves up from the accidents that matters.

-Aquaria

Lucia Salazar's POV

"Please, don't think of yourself as a hostage here. Feel at home."

I glared at the man in question vehemently as I was a trap with him in one of the bedrooms in their family château. I couldn't dare to fight him again after what he did to my baby back in Spain. Right now he has the upper hand here. "Feel at home?" I sneered, looking at him with acid eyes. "How can I feel that when I am held here against my will?"

"Soon this will be your home." He said, smiling down at me.

"No."

"You will be my wife, Lucia." He stated firmly. "And we will spend the rest of our lives as man and wife here in Provence away from the bustling city. You will love it here, darling. The flowers during spring are as beautiful as you."

I stared at him in disbelief. He doesn't get it, does he? "I don't want to live here with you, Jacques. You and I know well that I don't belong here, my life is in Spain. Let me go before it's too late."

"No!" He said stubbornly, shaking his head. "You cannot leave this place without my permission since my bodyguards are scattered throughout the mansion. I will not let you go back to Spain and marry that man."

I didn't know if I would be mad at him or pity him for being blinded by his infatuation towards me. "This is a mistake, Jacques. My brother and Diego are probably looking for me right at this moment. Do you think they will let you go easily if they find us? You could end up in jail for abducting me."

Something changed in his eyes that made me shiver. "I will that dog first before he can make you his wife." He closed the distance between us and took my hands in his. "Please marry me instead of him, my beloved. I will make you happy."

Suddenly, I felt disgusted by his touch. I snatched my hands back and put a good amount of distance between us. "I'm sorry, Jacques. I cannot do that since I am carrying his child and I want to be his wife."

He went after me, forcing me to look into his eyes. "Then, we'll give the child to him once he or she is born. Don't worry, you will not miss that child in your womb now since we will have children of our own—children we will love and cherish in our family home."

"Stop this nonsense, Jacques!" I stared at him in horror. How could he think that I would just give up my baby so easily like a ragdoll? All of a sudden, I have enough of our ridiculous conversation. I pushed him out of my way and went out of the bedroom.

I angrily marched on the hallways determined to get away from Jacques' presence as far away as possible. My eyes were arrested by a very huge portrait hang proudly on the wall near the grand staircase.

"What the hell..." I started. I couldn't believe my eyes as my gaze was fixed on the portrait. Who is she? Why does she bear a resemblance to me?

As if reading the question in my head I didn't notice that he was now standing next to me admiring lovingly at the painting. "She's my dearest Louise."

I swallowed hard, as I finally manage to remove my eyes from the woman who resemble me. "Where is she?"

I think from the adoration he has given me I should have not asked since it was quite obvious. The sadness in his face says it all. "She lost her battle to cancer a few years ago. In her death bed, I told her I wish her soul reincarnated as soon as possible so we could meet again." He gave me a loving smile. "Then I met you."