Chapter 24: The Conde

Every marriage tends to consist of an aristocrat and a peasant. Of a teacher and a learner.

-John Updike

Diego Suarez's POV

Damn it...Damn it...Damn it! I cursed myself furiously as I drove to the Hacienda of the Salazar in Andalusia, Spain. It's been a week exactly since my word tilted upside down at the turn of events in Paris.

At first, I couldn't believe my ears when my Lucia told me that she's pregnant with our child. But before I could even recover from my shock the Conde and his wife showed up in Paris demanding who is the father of her child. I couldn't speak for a moment but before I could summon any words in my mouth the damn French man butt in and claim to be the father of my child.

For one stupid moment in my life, I thought that would be better if Lucia marry him instead of me since he could give her the life she deserves. The life I could only dream of giving Lucia and our child. But as I was left alone in Paris taking the opportunity to research for her stalker's whereabouts to keep my mind out of the beautiful aristocratic señorita who bewitching me utterly so. I couldn't help but realize the mistake I made in my life.

I glanced at the engagement invitation on the passenger's side of my car. The Conde even sent me the invitation via his private secretary two days ago. Damn it! I will not let Lucia marry that man. I told to myself silently. I just hope that I am not too late to whisk her away from this engagement.

But it doesn't matter I would kidnap her if necessary. I don't wish her to be out of my arms ever again. Since she came back here in Spain with her brother it feels like I've been slowly dying each day pass.

Finally, I arrived at the magnificent estate owned by Don Leandro Salazar. There were now a good amount of people on the lawn enjoying the party. I maneuvered the car to the staff barracks and slip inside the manor unnoticed by everyone. It's a good thing that I work so many years for the Conde that's why I knew my way around here.

I bumped two maids who were busy at the party they gave me bright smile no idea what had just happened back in Paris. All I need to do was to go into Lucia's room unnoticed. I was already on the second floor when I crossed paths with the Conde and his friend, the Italian billionaire if I was not mistaken.

"Diego," Said the Conde, with unreadable eyes. "What a surprise to see you here. I'm glad you manage to come to Lucia's engagement party."

"Your Excellency." I greeted, while I was aware of the interesting look the Italian billionaire threw in my direction. There was a small smirk playing on his lips it was as if enjoying a private joke in my beneath. I scowled in his direction.

"Marco," Don Leandro addressed his friend. "Why don't you entertain the rest of the gang outside on my behalf while I talk to my previous bodyguard for a moment?"

"No, thank you." The man answered, with glittering dark eyes. "Those three idiots can entertain themselves. I have a better idea, I will just show my wife your art collections in the drawing-room upstairs. I'm sure we will have fun looking at your collections, amico."

The Conde threw a dirty look to his friend. "Just don't stain anything on my wife's favorite room, Orsini."

"You have my word, Your Excellency." He gave a parting wave before leaving me alone to the lord of the house.

"Let's go to my study room, Diego."

I just nodded and followed his track silently. This was the last thing I want when I planned to kidnap his sister. But for now, I would bid my time and I don't want him to suspect anything about the real reason I went to this party.