Chapter 1: Ashley

"I'm the unluckiest person in the world."

This was the label that Ashley had pinned on herself. Ashley was a fair, slim, brown eyed girl with brown, long wavy hair that any girl would envy for. Born into a conservative family and being a single child, she was raised with all the restrictions that one could imagine being enforced on a girl in a typical conservative family. She never really had much friends in school.

The only friend she had was Richael; a single child herself; who lived a floor down in her building. They had been friends since childhood and considered each other as siblings first and friends second. Be it their crush or secret fantasies, both knew every small detail about each other. Unlike Ashley, Richael had been in more than one relationship. For her dating and relationships were casual, which Ashley despised. Ashley believed in waiting for the right one. She did not believe in the concept of "trying out" a relationship. Fact is, she knew her folks won't accept any guy dating their only daughter. And she was afraid of her dad, who was a short tempered guy.

He often hit her mom in random bouts of anger. That's why she wanted to escape. Escape with someone who'll love and pamper her unconditionally. But somewhere deep inside, she was losing hope. Hope of finding the right one...

The high school exam results were out and it was time for college. Richael applied for Interior Design in Raymond's Arts College. Ashley wished to join the same college. Her dad told her to apply for Computer Science Engineering. Ashley expressed her wish to join arts college. He ridiculed her saying arts was a waste of time, with no money or future. After an hour long argument and discussion, Ashley sadly agreed to join engineering on a condition that she would choose the college. Her dad reluctantly agreed.

Prestige College of Engineering! Ashley chose it specifically because it was popular for it's extra-curricular activities and clubs. And they had an Arts wing which controlled the clubs and offered scholarships to deserving artists in any field. First day of college, Ashley went straight to the Dance Club!

Ashley wanted to be a professional dancer ever since she was child. Dance for her was a cathartic experience. It was a safe space where she could let her emotions flow through her body without any restrictions. She learned jazz for 4 years but then she quit because she was tired of being mocked by her Ashley. He thought she sucked at it. Now-a-days, dancing was a rare privilege she got when her folks went out for a function.

The Dance Club had two departments - Western and Classical. Ashleyjoined for Classical hoping she would be able to polish her jazz skills. It was also an opportunity for her to showcase her talent and also get feedback from people who love the art. Ashley felt like she had taken a step towards fulfilling her dream of becoming a dancer. But who knew that there was something more that this club was going to offer her. What could it be?