Chapter 13: The Last Resort

Ashley kept the mobile aside, sat on her bed, flooded with all the dark emotions. Wondering how she could have been so naive to end up in this situation. She didn't want to meet Nickagain. She didn't want to be his puppet. What would happen if she went to meet him tomorrow? What if she is asked to do things that doesn't even want to? What if he hurts her physically? Was there a way to escape this situation? Ashleycried.

Death was the only escape route she could think of. She took the bottle of Phenyl in her hand, opened the cork and smelled it. It smelled like the final closure to all the miseries and traps she had fallen into. While holding the poison, her hand was not shaking. It was firm. She was determined to drink every single drop. She didn't want to screw up the final act. She took the bottle near her lips. Mumbled "I hate you" and tilted the bottle.

*Ding-dong*
The door bell rang...

  Ashley panicked. Was dad and mom back already? Her dad had this habit of returning from trips early, without informing, so that he could check on her. Ashley immediately rushed towards the kitchen and put the phenyl bottle back in the cabinet. She wiped her face and walked towards the door. She was prepared for such surprise visits like these. As usual, she would either lie that she was sleeping or she was in the loo. She opened the door and was startled.

"Where have you been idiot? Have you found a new best friend or what?"

It was Richael! She barged in annoyed and closed the door behind her. Ashley broke down. She hugged Richael tightly and started sobbing like a little kid. Richael was startled and confused.

"What happened Ashley? Why are you crying?"

Ashley cried even more. She could not stop. It was a release she badly needed. She cried on for about 15 minutes.

"What happened sweetheart? Please tell me."

Ashley whimpered and told Richael the whole story. About Nick, about their home meets, about the video leak and the spy pen camera. She told Richael what she was about to do few minutes before. Ashley broke down again. Richael could not believe what she just heard. She could not control her emotions. She slappedAshleyhard enough to leave a perfectly visible hand print on her right cheek. And then she huggedAshley and cried for some time.

"I want to beat up that asshole."

"No. What if he leaks my videos?"

"Don't worry. We'll get him beaten up and make him delete each copy. I'll call my college friends."

"No. What if he lies and leave one backup?"

"Hmm. True."

Ashley and Richael discussed all possible solutions. Richael insisted, but Ashley did not want to involve her parents or the police.

"We need proof. That's it! You need to call Nick tomorrow, before leaving, and record the call. Tell him that you don't want to come and he'll threaten you. That would be a proof which we can use against him."

"Hmm."

"Obviously he'll back off because it will ruin his career. I'll also be coming with two of my guy friends. We'll stand next to door and barge in as soon as he opens the door for you. My friends will handle the rest. Trust me."

"Hmm."

Richael assured Ashley that it was a good plan. And that she'll be with her until she's out of this situation. Richael stayed with Ashley that night. But both could not sleep. They were silent. Richael acted strong to support Ashley. But deep inside she was nervous too about the next day.