Chapter 2: First Sight

The club activities were scheduled to start one week after the fresher's induction classes. The dance club had 2 instructors - Sin and Nick. Sin was a fair, tall, 30 years old married guy. He was a well known local jazz master who had also performed for many shows nation wide. Nick, on the other hand, was a mechanical engineering graduate, who later pursued his childhood passion of dancing. He specialized in many western dance forms like Hip Hop, Rued, Salsa, Bachata, etc. He was 26 years old, single, good looking guy who rocked a brown hair with light highlights. He was quiet popular among students for his teaching methods and for his introverted yet charming personality.

It was the opening day of clubs. Ashley went to the dance club all smiling and excited. Sin introduced himself and then Nick. Ashley, but obviously, got curious about Nick as soon as he was introduced to everyone as an engineer turned dancer. She found someone who was on a path similar to hers. She couldn't help but stare his blue highlighted hair which she thought were awesome. She remembered when she highlighted her hair once and her dad asked her to cut them. There was a moment when Nickcaught her eyes staring at him. He gave a faint smile. Ashleyblushed and swiftly looked away.

Sin finished explaining the class schedules, gave his blessings and said the first class was going to start tomorrow. While leaving, Ashleysaw Nick standing near the exit and talking on his mobile. She moved tactfully with her eyes down; trying to blend among others; to avoid a confrontation. She took a quick glimpse and their eyes met.Nick gave a wide smile. Ashleyblushed and rushed out.

Ashley spend the rest of her day thinking about Nick. She had never stared anyone like this before. She wondered if Nick thought she was creep. She felt embarrassed and had many mixed unknown feelings. Unknown feelings which felt good. What were these alien feelings?

Ashley soon became Sin's favorite. She was quick to grasp the lessons and was always on time for the class. She would rush to the club immediately after college while others loitered around in the canteen. Sin would give her extra tips and lessons before other students came.

The western class was conducted after the classical class. So Nick generally sat in the club office watching dance videos on his mobile. The office was in the corner of the hall, separated by a glass partition wall. Ashley was still embarrassed about the staring incident. Every few minutes, she would briefly try to get a glimpse of Nick whenever her head turned to his side during the dance moves. She was unknowingly getting curious about what Nick was doing. Whenever their eyes met during the dance breaks, Nick would blink his eyes and give her a faint charming smile. Eventually she started smiling back. Ashley grew so fond of his smile that she felt uneasy whenever she took a glimpse and Nick didn't notice her. She felt uneasy for missing a chance to see his smile.

One day the western class was scheduled before the classical class. Ashley came on her usual time and sat on the waiting bench inside the office. Sin was already there punching something aggressively on his laptop. Nick was stretching and warming up in the class. He did a few dance moves andAshley was impressed by his agility and fineness. It was Zomba class. A couples dance of African origin. To demonstrate the steps to new students, Nick asked a senior student to join him. He held her one hand and they put the other hand on each other's lower back and started dancing. A jolt of emotions struck Ashley. She didn't know why but she felt jealous and insecure. She wished the other girl just tripped and died. She badly yearned to be in her place. For the first time Ashley regretted for being a classical student. She wondered if she could now enroll herself to western class too.