35

"Oh my god where are the balloons?"
Heather Flores
August 8th

Luna begins to giggle when I open the door but I don't tell her to stop she's so adorable. I put the tray down to the side.

"3,2,1" I whisper. We both jump on Shawn screaming happy birthday. He laughs groggily sitting up, he puts an arm around me and one around Luna kissing her cheek then mine.

"Thank you girls". Oh his voice was so raspy, making me weak.

"Happy birthday daddy!" Luna shouts again jumping on to his lap. "Thank you princess" he kisses her forehead once more.

I lean over grabbing the tray. "Here's your birthday breakfast" I place the tray in front of him. "It looks amazing, now are we all sharing" he asks looking over at me.

"You can share with Luna, I'm so sorry love but I have to go to work" I pout leaning closer to him. "Oh right, I thought you had the day off?" He asks me biting down on his bottom lip.

"I'm sorry Shawn but I'm getting off early today, so I'll see you tonight" I kiss his cheek.
"I need to go now, I'll see you both later" I lean down kissing Luna's forehead.

I walk out feeling guilty for lying to him, I hear him getting up following me downstairs.

I feel him grab my hand and he twirls me around so I'm right in front of him, my hand on his bare chest.

"You can't take the day off?" He asks me running a hand down my waist. "I'm sorry, I promise I'll get off early tonight" I tell him moving my hand up to the back of his neck.

"Okay" he nods sadly. "I'm really sorry" I lean up kissing his lips gently.

"Are you sure you're going to work? You're dressed normally" he cocks his head to the side looking me up and down. "I just have verbal appointments today, so I don't need to be in my scrubs" I laugh off.

"Oh right" he says softly. "I'll see you tonight yeah?" I ask him looking up at his eyes, oh he looked so upset.

"Yeah" he nods. I lean up pecking his lips, "happy birthday babe" I kiss him again then turn around to leave, breathing in deeply as I felt his eyes on me as I walked out the door.

I grab my phone out of my bag opening my car door. "I'm leaving now, can you please meet me there?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm already here with that Brian guy and a few of them other boys, they're so useless and Paige is getting here soon" Spence tells me.

"I feel so bad Spence, he looked so upset" I groan starting my car. "It'll be fine he'll know by the end of the night that you are an amazing girlfriend who is planning a party"
-
"Oh my god where are the balloons?" I ask everyone walking around in my heels, we all got ready an half an hour ago so when everyone arrived we would be ready.

"Geoff have you seen the balloons? I've got everything ready but I can't find them" I say walking over to him. "Erm no but there's a store not far from here I'm sure you could pick some up" he shrugs.

"Okay, well can you go help Darren grab the drinks from the back" I ask, he nods then walks away.

I spot Andrew walking in, so I rush over to him as fast as I can. "Andrew can you please grab some balloons for me" I ask him.

"Oh hi, erm yeah from where?" He asks me. "Erm anywhere I guess, you know what I'll come with you. I just can't walk very fast in these heels" I laugh. "Okay lets go then"

"Heather where are you going?" Paige runs up to me. "Getting balloons with Andrew" I tell her.

"Okay, I got Ian to go to Shawn's at half five so he can get ready, he's gonna go crazy when he sees you" she whispers in my ear. I look down at my outfit, a satin pink mini dress and black heels. My hair was straight and Paige had done my makeup a little.

"I'm gonna go now" I tell her then follow Andrew to his car. He opens the door for me, I thank him and we soon drive off.

"Thanks for this" I tell him.

"Oh no problem, it's sweet that you're planning this for Shawn" he says glancing over at me. "I was kinda worried cause he seemed really upset this morning but now I can't wait to see him tonight" I smile looking down at my lock screen, a picture of Luna sleeping on Shawn's bare back.

"We're here now and I don't want to alarm you but is that Shawn?" He points.

"Oh shit it is, I think he's getting ice cream for him and Luna" I say.

"Okay well we'll quickly rush in" he says. I nod getting out, grabbing my purse as well.

Andrew walks beside me, almost to hide me from Shawn. I pray to god that he doesn't see us.

"Heather!" I hear. My heart drops when I hear his footsteps. "Heather" he calls again.

"Shit" I curse under my breath. I turn around and so does Andrew.

"Go get the balloons" I tell him. He nods walking away just as Shawn approaches.

"I thought you were at work?" He says looking me up and down. "Hi momma" Luna giggles hugging my legs. I give her a wave then look back at Shawn.

"I was" I say looking down at the floor.

"Why are you dressed like that? Why are you with Andrew?" He asks I can hear the anger in his voice.

"Shawn I can explain-"

"Are you on a date with him because I've been missing you all day and you're like this with him, what a pathetic excuse! Saying you have to work" he spits.

"No Shawn I was-"

"What? You can explain? Because I can already see what it looks like" he says his hand coming up to shove my shoulder making me stumble back. My eyes prick with tears not because he hurt me but he thinks I'm cheating.

"I was planning a surprise party for you, we were getting the balloons" I tell him my voice cracking as a tear slips my eye.

"Bullshit!" He shouts making Luna hold on to my hand. "Stop shouting" I tell him.

"Fuck you! You're a liar" he shouts. He picks up Luna turning away.

"Shawn I'm telling the truth! You can ask Andrew or Paige anyone" I shout.

He turns around and I see his watery eyes. "Why would I ask the man you're cheating on me with? Or your best friend?" He says sternly then turns away getting in his car.

I let out a sob as I watch him drive away. His words completely stunned me.

"I got the balloons" Andrew walks up to me holding the bunch of balloons. "Wait what happened?" He asks.

"Erm nothing" I wipe my eyes quickly. "Will you tell Brian that Shawn can come at six and that everything is ready, I need to go" I tell him.

"What do you mean?" He ask. "I need to go do something last minute" I lie. "Just make sure everyone comes, his family and friends should be there before him" I say letting a tear fall down my cheek.

He lets go of the balloons holding my face in his hands. "Heather tell me what happened" he says.

"Nothing, I'm gonna get a taxi. Thanks for this and here's the money for the balloons" I shove a few notes from my purse in his shirt pocket then walk away looking up at the sky to see the balloons drifting away.