Popularity is a Pain

It had been two weeks since Peter had been shot and he was doing well in regards to his recovery, he was walking around as normal with only the occasional twinge of pain in his abdomen. His parents had become really overprotective of him as did Wanda and Dr Banner.

It was great to know that they all cared about him, but it was annoying that they were all treating him like glass. Anytime he even wandered outside the tower he was immediately directed back inside by the forehead of security Happy Hogan himself. He just wanted some normality back in his life.

He hadn't been Spider-Man since he heard about May's condition and it was times like these that made him really want to put the suit back on. But he could never bring himself to do so.

Peter was too afraid of being Spider-Man; Spider-Man was from a slightly happier time in his life, but that chapter was closed. So was the chapter on Spider-Man.

Peter sat in his room at the tower staring at the Spider-Man mask in his hands letting his fingers trace over the web pattern on the fabric. He had retreated to his room after yet another argument with his parents about going back to school. He brought it up and it was immediately shot down. This lead to a heated argument. To which Peter simply stormed off to his room and locked the door.

He slipped on the mask and lay down staring up at the ceiling. He smiled when a familiar voice fretted him.

"Hello Peter," said his AI KAREN happily.

"Hi Karen," he responded with a big smile.

He sat there for a while simply talking with Karen, he told her about him getting shot and about his parents stance on him going back to school. He even told Karen how angry he was that they all thought he was fragile.

Little did Peter know his parents heard the whole thing.

After the argument with Peter, Tony and Pepper dropped onto the couch feeling slightly agitated and sad.

"Do you think we're being to overprotective of him?" asked Pepper as she cuddled into Tony's side.

"I don't know Pep I didn't actually have a father when I was a kid so I am operating without any knowledge," he said in a saddened voice that made Pepper tear up a little but she hid it from him.

"I may be wrong but I think he may just need to go back to school. He needs to get back into the world. We can keep an eye on him, but from a distance," he said with a slight ponder.

They were both startled when FRIDAY started speaking, "Sorry boss but it seems the Spider-Man Mark 2 suit has been activated."

Tony immediately felt his chest tighten when he heard this, he felt an anxiety attack looming.

"Baby monitor protocol FRIDAY on the TV," he choked out.

The TV lit up and they could see Peter's bedroom he was just laying on the bed in his pyjamas wearing the mask. Tony let out a sigh of relief and wad about to disconnect when Peter spoke.

"I am seriously tired of all the bullshit Karen, I mean I can't be treated like I'm made of glass all the time," he stated. This made Tony and Pepper feel a bit ashamed.

"Have you tried telling Mr and Mrs Stark how you feel?" asked Karen in return.

"I tried but it lead to a argument, it was probably my fault anyways, I mean a lot of stuff it my fault," answered Peter sounding sad. Tony looked at Pepper and he realised that she was crying at his words and so was he. Were they really that blind to their kid's feelings?

"It's just hard you know?" Peter said to his AI

"Sometimes Peter you should just cut them off and say how you really feel, it isn't good to bottle up emotions," Karen responded sagley.