✰ prologue

Sirens echoed in the distance and my feet were aching from how fast I was running.

All I could think about were those damn child services trying to put me in an orphanage for the rest of my childhood. Knowing these streets, my feet took me to the 11:30 freight.

Hell if I knew where it went; all I knew was that it would get me away from here.

The backpack on my back was juggling around, since I had put my most important belongings in there.

Money, a knife, clothes, and another jean jacket— I'm wearing one right now.

Right as the doors were closing, I lunged into the cart and the train started moving.

I'm never going back to New York City. Not now, not ever.

My hand instantly went to hold onto my dad's dog tags for comfort. The flannel and jean jacket were keeping me warm, along with the jeans and high top converse.

As a 16 year old girl, I had no idea what I was doing. All I knew was that I had to get away from NYC. It was so dark inside that train that I couldn't help but drift off to sleep.

Recently, all my dreams have been of the officer coming to tell me about my dad's death.
I was only 12 at the time, so I was forced to have child services.

They tried to take me to an orphanage, but I escaped and lived on the streets of New York City for four years.

In those years, I learned a lot. It gained me street smart, fight smart, and good talk.

I had lived in my dad's apartment for years while he was off in the war. My mom had died in childbirth, because of me.

All my fault.

The officer came in the middle of my birthday, just to give me my dad's dogs tags from the war and tell me he had gotten shot to death.

They've been after me ever since. I tell ya, I'm quite the trouble maker.

I do the baddest of bad. It's a way of expressing my feelings, my rage for what this stupid world has put me through.

I jump people, I rob stores, I get in fights, drink, smoke, and have sex.

I'm not one to be messed with. Sure, Aurora may sound all dandy and sweet, but I hate it.

That's why my nickname is Rory. When people call me Aurora, it doesn't end to well for them.

I don't cry. I don't get scared. I don't get beat. When you're tough like me, you're untouchable.

I'm Rory Powers, and I'm gonna make this world my bitch.