✰ twenty-one

DALLAS WINSTON'S POINT OF VIEW:

The boys arrived in a car I had stolen and gotten gas for while the car was being tracked at the police station.

They said it belonged to Logan Barker, who lived in southern NYC, but had recently bought a building in Sapulpa, Tulsa's neighboring city.

"Thanks, I will explain the case when and if we get back." I smirked at the front desk lady. I turned to Darry who was worried.

"Take care of Pony and Johnny. We'll be fine, and if anybody dies, it's gonna be me. I'll keep everyone safe." I confirmed and he looked sad, but proud.

We said goodbye and Soda, Steve, Two-Bit and I busted to the car. This was going to be one hell of a boys trip.

It took about half an hour to reach the building. I knew Logan's gang member, Carter. We were friends for a while back when I was in NYC, so this would serve me well.

I already had it planned out.

"So boys, I know one of the gang members. We were friends in New York. That'll help, but I'm gonna need one of you to pretend to be her boyfriend." I said and they all looked at each with a half serious smirk.

"I'll do it." Steve said and I was happy. If anybody, I'd choose him due to the fact that he's the strongest and best liar.

"So when we get there, if they're there, I'll park far off and act like I'm just visiting Carter. If I get any sign she's there, I'll say I need to go get some money I never paid him. Hell, I know there is some." I joked and they laughed.

"When I do, Steve will get the cue to come in awhile later. I'll have my gun on me the whole time, so you're safe. Those guys won't shoot unless they have to." I assured him and they all looked relieved.

"I may have brought a gun too. And I know y'all have your blades." Two said and Steve and Soda looked shocked, as did I, but nodded saying thy has blades.

"Well, you'll act like you think it was them. Be gentle, and don't act blamey. I'll tease you a little bit, just to play along. Steve, you have to listen to me right now." I said and looked in the mirror to him in the back seat.

I could tell I had his full attention and spoke, "The whole time, you need to notice everything. These guys are more dangerous than any Soc. They're like my old man. They could do anything, so you must be aware. Be smart." I said. He took it in and nodded firmly.

"What about Soda and I?" Two-Bit asked.

"You're our defense. There's gonna be a fight at some point, I know they won't hand her over for free." My heart told me she wasn't going to be okay, but I had to ignore the fear and be strong for her.

"Well, we'll do it. I'll keep my gun on me and we'll stay as close as possible." He said and Soda nodded.

This was gonna be dangerous, so I had to pull back every street smart and ounce of danger that I had ever had. I was the old me.

Reckless, but unstoppable. If it meant killing someone to get Rory, then that's what I'd do.

"I'm going in." I said and they nodded as I hopped out of the car, walking towards the building.

Once I arrived I found the door and knocked on it.

"WHO IS IT?!" Someone yelled from the inside.

"An old friend." I smirked and the door opened to reveal a smaller girl, who had defined muscles.

"Who do you know hot stuff?" She smirked at me. I knew I was going to have to flirt back and I knew Rory was going to have to play along with Steve.

"Carter here?" I asked and she nodded, looking out and around before letting me in.

It looked like a typical gang hangout. Punching bags, lots of doors, a chill out space, and a meeting table.

"Carter! You've got company!" The girl yelled and suddenly Carter popped in. He was shorter than I was, but had a good build.

"Well I'll be damned." He walked towards me and I smirked at him.

"Dallas Winston?" He asked and I nodded proudly.