22. Freedom

Dev's POV:

A tight slap upon my face and the next moment I found myself groveling in the dust of the wooden floor underneath.

Very well. I absolutely deserved this for hurting my Tara like an animal!! I told myself as I tried to get up.

However, my job was done by the same person who slapped me. He held my collar and picked me up and before I could even straighten myself, he placed another tight slap upon my cheek.

What the!!... must be Adijay! That spoilt brat is taking a revenge on me now!!

-"Listen Ad..."

"No swine, YOU listen me.. How dare you huh? How bloody dare you to insult your wife infront of everyone??" An angry outburst hit my ears.

Oh no, it was Kshitiz. Well now I understood why his slaps felt so strong. The result of his years of workout he had poured in slapping me left and right afterall.

"...That too over and over again." Another voice followed.

Adit's voice.

-"Adit.."

"Don't." He placed his right palm in the air, just inbetween us, and dismissed my call. "I don't want to hear my name from your mouth, Dev." He added harshly.

"You think he is really bothered about that?" Kshitiz rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"Right... the person who doesn't touch a single drop of alcohol and yet behaves like a chronic drunkard.. insults and humiliates his wife every time.. sleeps around with his colleagues.. fools around his friends.... what will be he even bothered of?!!" Adit chuckled too, his tone dripping with pure sarcasm.

Okay. I admit that I deserved all of this. But sleeping around with my colleagues? Hell, NO man. I didn't even imagine anything like that.. never ever.. and I had thought that among everyone else, atleast Adit would know about this!

-"So you believe that I sleep around with other woman when Tara is not there with me?" I stared at Adit, letting my hard gaze slowly meet his loathsome one.

"Actually you know what? I don't trust you anymore. So if Nitara's allegations really come true na, I won't get surprised... not even a bit!" He said to me.

"Neither me." Kshitiz joined him. "You have turned into such a mean person that I really think I shouldn't have let Nitara marry you that day! You clearly don't deserve her, man!!"

"True. Nitara would have been a lot more happier if she was with Kshitiz today." Adit heaved a damp sigh.

Was he like regretting his decision of supporting me back then?

Hell!!

"I didn't mean that, Adit." Kshitiz was concious all of a sudden. But Adit dismissed him gently and said-

"I know. But I did mean it Kshitiz. I mean.... just look at you! You have groomed yourself into such a gentleman.. and then look at this retrogressive species! No wander Nitara's future was better secured with YOU and not with HIM!!"

I am the retrogressive species? And Tara's future was secured with the progessive one??

-You have any doubt? Mind retorted from the back.

And well, he was correct... just like always.

-"Now that he is getting married to Amaya, will you please stop your match making Adit??"

"Why? You got jealous again??" He blinked his eyes rapidly and dramatically and continued- "What is this jealousy about, Dev? What is this insecurity? Is it that you don't trust her enough or you don't believe your own love?? But even if it so then why are you letting it happen? A relation where you know each other for eight years and have been married for five years now, doesn't deserve emotions like these. Insecurity, jealousy, possessiveness.. what nonsense are these, Dev??"