Chapter 12: Trini-Dominican Q.U.E.E.N. With Two Dads..?

I was confused. I chuckled nervously and said, "Excuse me?" He nodded his head his shame. I cocked my head sideways, I really want to know what's going on. "Believe me.. Has your mother ever mentioned me to you?" "No... My father's right next door to me." He looked frustrated when I mentioned Dad. "Can I come in.. please?" His eyes looked sorry and depressed. He himself looked pretty young like 49 or something.. Like my mom's age. I hesitantly nodded my head and let him in. I closed the door behind me and followed him to the tables on the balcony. We sat down and I really wanted him to explain himself. He cannot honestly just come into my life like this. Who does he think he is, besides my "father"? I looked at him with anxiety. He caught on to my face and began. "19 years ago, your mother was pregnant with you.. She was only about a few months old. At the time, she had already given birth to Rochely, and Hector. Way before you, though. We kept getting into harsh arguments at times and we had a divorce. It hurt to leave you guys behind because, ustedes son mis hijos, you know?" No. I do not. "Anyways, we separated and your grandmother told me that she had already found another man when Rochely was about 14 years old. You were 11. Hector was 13 or 12." There was knocking on the door. "Excuse me." I got up and went to go answer the door. It was Romeo and Dad. "Hey." Romeo kissed me on my cheek. Dad attempted to hug me but I refused it. Romeo then noticed the man who claims to be my "father" sitting on the balcony.

"Idalis?" He said slightly pointing to him. I went over to the man and took him by the hand bringing him to where we were. "Please tell me what is going on!?" I yelled. "Babe, calmate por favor." Romeo rubbed my shoulders. "This man here claims to be my father!" "Idalis, you know I'm your father. I've always treated you like you were a princess!" Dad said. "But you were never there for the first 11 years of her life. Now were you?" The man snapped. "The relationship I have with Idalis is none of your business!" "You have no relationship with her. You were never there for her ballet recitals, her 1st birthday, her middle school graduation or anything special." I was emotionally moved by him. "Yes I was." "When is her birthday?" "August 20, um 1999." Um?? Did he just say um?? "No. Her birthday is in 2 days, December 28. She was born in 1995. It

is about to be 2015 in just a few weeks." My Dad looked defeated. I was disappointed at all of this. At the fact that my mother never spoke about my real dad, at the fact that Dad knew almost nothing about me, and that my real dad waited this long just to see me. "Idalis, please tell this man to leave." Dad told me. I shook my head. "You don't even remember my birthday.. How could I let you stay with me?" "Please, I love you." "I don't believe you. Just go." "You will regret it." Was all he said before he left shutting the door behind him.

I looked up at Romeo. "It's gonna be okay." He assures me. "I hope so." I bite my lip. "I want to go home.." I say. "Please! Take me with you!" The man pleaded. I thought about it for a second. And I said, "Yes". We got our things and Roberto came to get us. Then we flew back to Los Angeles. We drove back to the house. "Mi vida, please relax. Take it easy." Romeo told me. I was so angry. We reached my house and Roberto began to take my luggages out. "Roberto, you can leave my luggages in the trunk. I don't think i'll be coming back here anymore." I held my "biological father's" hand and he held mine as if to protect me. Before we walked in, he stopped me and said, "Idalis, listen to me. I know it wasn't the right thing to do to walk out on you guys. But i'm sorry. I came back for a reason, I realized that I was missing a half of my heart. And half of my heart belonged to you, your sister, and your brother. Te quiero mucho mi princesa, y no te dejare nunca mas.. I promise." He kissed me on my forehead and I hugged him. There was a feeling that sparked between us. It was a connection that was never discovered until now. We walked inside the house and Mami jumped when she saw him. Rochely looked speechless and Christian was just..whatever. "What is he doing here?" Mami asked. "I thought you had to go to work." I said flatly. "I took today off. What is he doing here?" She asked again. "I came to see my kids." He answered standing in front of me. Rochely began to cry. "It's about time!" Mami yelled. "What do you mean? You caused the arguments! Dormiendo con otro hombre atras de mi espalda mientras yo cuidaba a los niños!" He yelled back. I was shocked. I cupped my mouth and began to cry. Romeo held me. "Yo no estaba dormiendo con nadie, embecil!" "You came back home late every night smelling like cologne. No me vas a decir que tenias que trabajar tarde." "Why didn't you tell me that he was my actual father?" I jumped in. My "father" glared at Mami. "He wasn't important at the time." "WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE WASN'T IMPORTANT AT THE TIME?! DO YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO FIND YOUR FATHER 8 YEARS LATER IN YOUR LIFE AFTER YOU'VE SPENT THE YEARS WITH A MAN WHO WASN'T YOUR FATHER??" I yelled. She came over and slapped me out of Romeo's arms. "If he cared about you, he would've stayed!" She cried. I touched my cheek and it burned. Especially the tears that fell down on it. "Atleast no one had to remind me about my kids." Papi said. "I'm leaving.. I thought I was my mother's daughter!" I sobbed. I ran upstairs and packed my things. "You can leave with her!" I heard Mami yell. "Ella es tu hija. You gave birth to her." That was Romeo. "I wish I hadn't!" Was what the devil of my mother said to him.

"What is wrong with you?!" Rochely yelled. They just kept going back and forth and then Mami hit her.. "Mommy!" Janelly screamed. Christian took Janelly outside and shook his head. I could hear her crying and screaming from outside. "She hit Mommy!! Daddy, Nana doesn't like us anymore!"  Janelly cried. Rochely didn't say a word to Mami 'til she got in front of the door. "One day, you'll regret.. hitting us." Christian drove Rochely to their house and Roberto drove me and Romeo to Romeo's house. "She didn't mean all of it, mi amor. She still loves you." I looked at him. "I thought I was my mother's child..."