Chapter 9: The Big Fall

I crashed on the floor, down the stairs. I laid down the floor and winched in pain. My whole body hurted. I noticed students gathering around me.

Some students laughed and some took out their phone to take photos. I quickly sat upright and begin to collect my books that were spread around. Collecting books from the floors, I stood upright, feeling the pain running down my body.

I stepped on my feet and felt a sharp pain running down my right ankle.

Did I twist it?

I noticed some students leaving. Some still stayed there and looked at me with disappointment.

"I thought she would cry," one girl sighed.

"I wanted to take a selfie with her crying face and post it in snap chat," another boy said in disappointed.

"Right? We could have gotten so many likes if we posted a video of her falling  down the staircase in Facebook," another boy said.

I ignored those students. People were cruel. It wasn't something new. People were selfish and knew only how to maintain their needs.

Even adults were like that. I couldn't expect more from a bunch of high schoolers anyway.

As the students went away, I began to walk. My books seemed to be heavy on my arm. I guess I hurt my arms as well. My ankle shot pain on my legs.

I wanted to seat somewhere and had to look at my ankle, but I knew that was a bad idea. If I sat somewhere, it would get even harder to move afterward.

I have went through these types of pain before when uncle hit be. The pain always increased later.

I atleast needed to put my books away to my lockers.

I began to walk towards the English hallway. It was almost empty. Everybody was around the cafeteria hallway. I walked towards my locker when I heard somebody calling out my name.

"Yo! Neardypoo!" I heard somebody calling out my name.

I turned around and saw Omar, walking with his hands on his pockets.

I sighed in annoyance.

What did he want?!

I walked near my locker, ignoring him. I went near my locker and tried on the combination of the lock.

Omar came near my locker and leaned on the locker beside mine.

"What do you want, Omar?" I said, angrily, opening the locker door.

"I have been trying to tell you something since this morning," he said leaning on the locker.

I ignored him, as I put my books away on the locker.

"Listen, about yesterday -"

I sighed as I closed the locker door. "Listen, jerk. I don't want to talk about what happened yesterday-"

"What not?" He asked, angrily. "I am here, trying my best to talk to you nicely about the yesterday's incident-"

"But, I am not in the mood!" I said, looking at Omar. "Can't you understand that I am trying to ignore you?"

Omar looked pissed. "Well, can't you understand that I am trying to apologize to you about yesterday?!" He yelled.

I looked at him in shock.

Omar looked at me for a while and put his gaze away. "I . . . I didn't know the water bottle was given to you by your grandmother when you were small," he said, looking away as if he was too embarrassed to admit his mistakes. "I don't have any excuse, but . . . I . . . I . . ."

I looked at him, shocked.

How did he find out that the water bottle was given to me by my grandma?

"I . . . I . . ." He shuttered.

"I . . . ?" I asked, confusingly.

Was he trying to say 'sorry?'

But then why was he hesitating so much?

Was it his first time saying 'sorry?'

"I . . . I am . . ." He shuttered again.

It was amusing to watch his embarrassed face, looking down the floor. He was a jerk and jerks usually don't apologize this fast. It was a show to watch him shuttered.

"I  . . . Am . . ." He he paused, rubbing his neck. " . . . You know . . ."

I smirked. "I know, what?"

"Um . . ."

"A-huh?" I asked leaning on the locker.

"I . . . Am . . ." His voice lowered. " . . . s-s-sor-r-r-ry . . ."

I looked at him and smirked. I leaned my ears closer to him. "Pardon me?"

He looked annoyed. "I already told you!"

"You did?" I pretend to look puzzled. "When? I didn't hear."

"You did," he said, looking at me. "I know you did!"

"Of course not," I said innocently. "I didn't hear a thing! Were you saying something important?"

"Arrggh!" He slapped his hands on his forehead. "Forget it."

I laughed. It was fun to watch his annoying face.

"Seriously?" He frowned. "Don't get used to it because I won't say it again."

I couldn't stop laughing. I stepped back, forgetting that I had twisted my right ankle, I stepped back on my feet and winched in pain. "Ouch," I whispered.

I bit my lip, closing my eyes and consuming the pain, I opened my eyes again, finding Omar looking at me, worriedly.

"What's wrong?" He asked. This time his voice wasn't sour or filled with anger. His voice felt different time. His voice was much softer, fillied with a tint of worry and warmth.

I shook my head. "Nothing," I whispered.

Looking at me as if he was testing something, he sighed. "Well then," he said and turned around, leaving me behind, he walked away towards the end of the hallway.

I sighed as I looked at my wounded ankle.

Gosh!

It was going to be darn hard to get back home with this twisted ankle.