f o u r t e e n

The picture sat heavy in Chaeyoung's pocket. As she ate her cake beside Mina, the latter watching some game show on TV, she had the strong urge to ask about it. But after finally finding her footing with Mina, she didn't know if she actually should ask about it or not.

"Keep this up and I swear I'm going to become fat," Mina groaned as she finished off the dessert.

Chaeyoung chuckled, grabbing her plate with hers and standing up. "That's my intention," she joked before heading into the kitchen.

She washed the plates and covered the rest of the cake for the next time the two see each other, taking her time. She was so deep in thought that she hadn't noticed the Japanese woman entering the kitchen and stand behind her until she spoke.

"Where did you get this?"

Chaeyoung whirled around at the unfamiliar gruff voice, frowning in confusion when she saw it was just Mina. Her eyes widened upon seeing the small photo in her hand. It had to have slipped out sometime while Chaeyoung was sitting.

"I—"

"Did you really go through my room? You invaded my privacy? After I welcome you into my home?" Mina questioned, voice laced with how upset she was.

"But I didn't! My friend—"

"I don't care who did it! And after all I did..."

Mina's hand shook as she lowered the picture, tears welling up in her eyes. She blinked them away as she turned to not meet the smaller's gaze.

Oh no no no! And just when Chaeyoung was on good terms with her!

"Don't talk to me ever again," Mina spoke again, words clipped. "Don't come to my house, don't talk to my friend, don't send that other girl to my house. I knew I shouldn't have ever even given you a chance."

The glare Mina sent the younger was enough to make her cower, Chaeyoung bowing her head and avoiding her gaze. She didn't look up until she heard the receding footsteps and her front door slamming shut.

Chaeyoung sighed sadly, mentally cursing Dahyun for causing this.

Meanwhile, Dahyun was over at Sana's hotel room, nursing a cup of tea. The older was lighting scented candles for "relaxation" or whatever she said.

"I hate the smell of hotel rooms," Sana said as she sat down on her bed, across from Dahyun's spot in the single chair the room had.

"Why?" Dahyun asked.

"They just...smell weird. Anyways, what's this about Mina you wanted to talk about?"

Dahyun gripped her cup tighter as she hesitated, getting her thoughts together. She needed to play her cards right to get all the information she needed. Or else Chaeyoung just might really be in trouble.

"Is Mina a murderer?" She blurted out instead. Great job, Dahyun.

Sana chuckled, shaking her head. "So many people have asked that! No, she's not, no matter how scary she looks. She doesn't torture people either, and she doesn't have a dungeon for kidnapping people."

Well, that was pretty much all of Dahyun's questions thrown out the window. Sana didn't seem like the type of person to lie, though Dahyun could never be too sure. So, she'll have to believe her for now.

"Then what's with the picture of a grave?" Dahyun asked.

Sana stiffened, much to Dahyun's pleasure. Excitement. Joy? Expectation?

"I can't tell you," Sana murmured, reaching for her own cup of tea by her nightstand.

"Why not?"

"Personal. For Mina. And I."

"But this is my best friend we're talking about! Why would she have a picture of a headstone? Nobody does that!"

Sana massaged one of her temples before sipping her tea. "Mina has a very strong connection with the person—"

"How do I know? That could've easily been a victim of Mina's murdering sprees!"

"She's not a murderer!"

Dahyun could see the frustration and irritation in the usually calm and upbeat girl. She knew she was walking a very fine line, and if she didn't say the actual correct words soon, she'll risk getting the info she needed.

"You know, only murderers keep pictures of their victims."

That must've been it because Sana roughly sat her cup down and abruptly stood, glaring at Dahyun intensely.

"I think you need to leave," she firmly said.

But Dahyun didn't move a muscle, calmly looking back at the older. "I think not."

"Yeah? Well, I think so. Please leave."

"Alright. But as soon as I walk out the door, I'm calling the police."

Sana scoffed and crossed her arms. "For what? Mina doesn't kill people, like I said before."

"What did she die of?"

"I'm not telling you. It's private."

Dahyun nodded, setting her lukewarm tea down. This wasn't her initial plan, but she knew exactly what to do now. She knew how to get everything from Sana.

"Hm. The police will find out eventually. Think about it. Mina just fled Japan with a picture of a dead person's grave. That already sounds suspicious. She never leaves her house, and she's always grumpy and hardly lets anyone inside. She could easily be hiding anything anywhere, and nobody would know it."

It was silent as Dahyun watched the gears turn in Sana's head. The older didn't sit back down, instead walking closer to Dahyun and leaning against the table.

"If I tell you this, you cannot tell Mina." She sounded a lot more calmer than moments before. "She'll actually murder me after she's done with you."

"Trust me, I have no need to speak to her ever again," Dahyun promised.

Finally.

Hawyee, I finally wrote this🤠