The Breakfast Club

Friday afternoon. Detention. Typical Friday night for me, Spencer Hale.

As I step into the hallway with Miss Selbo's room I sigh. Only five minutes late, that's a record for me.

I do not intentionally mean to forget my homework or annoy my teachers but school really doesn't sit well with me. My favourite lessons are lunch, and the five minute, supervised breaks I get in the morning and afternoon for a smoke. You're probably wondering how I'm allowed to have a smoke break?

Simple. Teachers soon found out that once I'd had my nicotine break, I was a somewhat nicer student to have. The other kids think I just have diabetes or whatever the rumour is nowadays and have to get medicated by the school nurse.

My offence this time? Arguing with Hannah Preston. She was everything I was not. Clever, popular and preppy. 

As I stepped in the room I look straight ahead at the Teacher's desk.

Mr Ali, who teaches Gym nods my way and asks me to take a seat. He usually supervised detention. I guess because, no other teacher wants to and Mr Ali is new, young and a pushover.

We had detention regulars such as Rudy Manson and his annoying group of friends. Jen Goodman, she kept to herself mainly, but she's definitely crazy. She's been in detention for throwing chairs, creating explosions in Chem and scares Freshman by jumping out from behind objects.

There were a few Freshman and other newbies who, bless their hearts, looked nervous as they furiously wrote on their sheets of paper.

"Hey Spence." Rudy greets me.

"Rudy, Rudy, Rudy." I tut. "What is it this time?" I sigh as I make my way to a seat in the corner.

"Smoking on premises." Rudy shrugs nonchalantly.

"Wow. You're such a badass." I reply with a slight eye roll.

"Rudy, Spencer, you know the rules. Keep quiet and do some homework or revision." Mr Ali pipes up.

I stick my headphones in and open the  History textbook I took from my locker. I got into trouble, but I would still like to go to a decent college.

About ten minutes in, I was in the zone. Making notes and learning about Jefferson and the war of 1812. Out of nowhere, a scrunched up ball of paper lands on my desk. I look around but do not immediately notice anything. I open it up and find a note written in scrawled handwriting.

Got a spare cig? - Jen

I turn in my seat and see Jen's dark eyes staring at me. Girl really needs to lighten up the eyeliner. I take my box of cigarettes out and place one in the paper. I roll the paper around it and make a paper airplane out of a sheet of paper from my notebook. I stick the rolled up cigarette in the paper airplane and fly it back to Jen. I grin when it lands in her desk.

I knew Mr Ali saw that one but I don't think he truly cared enough to comment.

I stared out at the field, or what was left of it. Our town was so poorly funded our school grounds were just dead grass and a few weeds. The trees we had were old and uprooting, causing cracks in the pavement. I even remember a girl falling over a crack and breaking her ankle. Too bad her parents couldn't afford a lawyer to sue.

"Pssst you giving those out free?" Rudy asks me in hushed tones.

"Geez Rudy! Stop annoying me, don't you see me working?" I ask aloud with my tongue tucked under my bottom lip in a smirk.

"Rudy." Mr Ali warns him.

"What? But I-? I didn't even-" Rudy splutters out at once.

"What? But I, I-" I mock him.

"Spencer." Mr Ali's warning shifts to me.

"You're going to regret that!" Rudy smirks at me. 

"Rudy! Enough now. Keep quiet, I'm adding another hour of detention for you. You'll be back here Monday." Mr Ali scolds. Rudy rolls his eyes but holds his hands up in surrender.

For the rest of detention I planned my escape out of detention to avoid whatever prank Rudy was cooking up in his twisted head.

After the hour was up, I quickly grabbed my bag and ran to my locker shoving my history textbook in there. I waited by my locker for a bit as the other kids piled out the room. Rudy smirks at me but I move out of his way heading straight for Mr Ali.

"Sir." I call him. Mr Ali turns around and I hear Rudy sigh as he walks away.

"Spencer?" Mr Ali asks.

"Oh, I was just wondering who your favourite football team was?" I ask the first question that popped in my head and I mean he was a PE teacher.

After a longer than necessary conversation about football I finally left the school building. I saw a familiar blue sedan in the parking lot and started making my towards it. As I took the steps out of school I hear footsteps behind me.

"You got me another hour of detention, Spence, you're going to get it." Rudy laughs in my ear. Suddenly, I'm picked up off the ground by my waist and slung over Rudy's shoulder like a rag doll.

I squeal and my bag falls off my shoulder spilling it's contents. "Rudy!" I cry. Rudy's friends pick up my cigarette box and lighter.  "Hey! Those are mine!" I begin kicking and pounding my fists against Rudy's back.

"What the hell are you doing? Put her down!" I hear a gruff voice call out. Rudy suddenly stops dead in his tracks and slowly puts me down. I take the opportunity to knee him swiftly in the balls.

"Oh!" I hear him groan and bend over. I smirk and run over grabbing my bag and retrieving my cigarettes and lighter. I run over to the owner of the gruff voice and grin.

"Thanks babe." I coo sweetly planting a big kiss on his lip as I run my fingers through his hair.

"Rudy, meet my boyfriend, Mark." I grin grabbing on to his bicep for extra effect. Mark bends a little picking me up by the back of my legs. I squeal and he pulls me to his height and begins to walk away, to his Sedan.

I wave my fingers to Rudy who was watching me leave in shock, still clutching on to his crown jewels.