smoke and mirrors

I tapped my foot to the club anthems that blared in the background, the vibrations being felt on the leather booth I was sat on.

Jason's hand was on my waist as he spoke to Mo beside him. Helena grabbed my attention by handing me the shisha pipe which I take from her. She gets up and tells me she's getting a refill of her drink. I screw on my mouthpiece and take a long drag relishing the minty smoke in my mouth before blowing it out. I take another two drags and was ready to pass the pipe to Jason.

Just then, a man appears and takes the empty seat beside me. I didnt get a good look at him too shocked at what he did. He'd taken the pipe from me taking a long drag.

"Dude, you're supposed to get your own mouthpiece." Jason spits.

"Why, do you have cooties?" The man asks me, his voice deep. He was smirking.

"It's fine. I can get another." I shrug to Jason. Jason rolls his eyes at the mysterious guy and rips the pipe away from him.

"Hey Dacre! You made it." Helena grins grabbing the attention of everyone at the table. Dacre immediately greets everyone giving Helena a hug. "I'm going to have to take my seat back but you can sit there." Helena tells him and points to the empty seat in front of me.

Dacre nods and moves away but not before giving me a small smile. Why did I just melt a little.

I take in his looks.

Curly hair, light green eyes. A face that looked chiseled by the gods. I knew he probably had a body to match with his tight fitted jumper clinging go him.

Not that Jason and I were dating but I definitely felt his arm pull me closer to his body in a protective manner. Jason and I were good friends that, yes, did have sex every now and then. We were both clear from the start that neither of us wanted to date the other.

Helena and I chat away and before long the pipe has made it's way back to us. Helena only takes one drag before she calls it quits. I do the same and can't help but feel a certain someone's eyes burning holes in me. I ignore it best I can. I take two more drags and hand the pipe to Jason again who passes it on telling me he's had enough.

Jason turns to me and pulls me in for a quick kiss.

"That peppermint is quite addicting." He mumbles against my lips and I smile. He kisses me again before peppering soft kisses along my jaw. I tilt my head on instinct as he gets lower but my eyes meet those green ones that were boring into me. I felt uncomfortable instantly and before Jason could kiss me again I push him away gently.

He looks confused but I give him a small reassuring smile and another quick peck. I quickly down the rest of my whiskey that was sat on the table.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom." I tell him and Helena shifts her legs to let me out. I was grateful the bathroom and exit door were close to each other so I could slip out for some cool air without anybody noticing.

I breathe in the refreshing air before pulling out my box of cigarettes from my jacket pocket.

I rarely smoked but for some reason Dacre's intense staring sent my head into a tailspin. Of course I wasn't as lucky to be left alone to smoke.

"Most people come outside for fresh air." Emphasis on the fresh being clearly in reference to my cigarette.

"If that's the reason you came out, then maybe get away from me." I retort. Dacre came and stood beside me. We stand in silence as I take a few more drags from the cigarette before that too is taken from my hands. "Is that your thing? Taking stuff?" I ask with a huff as Dacre puts the cigarette between his lips.

Watching him smoke so effortlessly made my insides churn. How did he look so good.

He stubs out the cigarette before I could protest and his eyes land on me. He steps closer and even though every alarm bell is ringing in my head I let him. I don't step back but allow him to turn me to face him. His lips comes down and pepper my jaw in kisses, just like Jason had done moments earlier. Except Dacre's lips travelled further and got to that sweet spot on my neck just below my ear.

My eyes roll back and close as he sucks that spot. I have to grab on to his arms to prevent my knees from buckling under me. He backs off and his big smirk is the first thing I notice when I open my eyes.

"Just wanted to show you how I would let others know you were mine." He mumbles in my ear before he takes the door and heads back inside. I'm stood gaping. I take out my phone and snap a picture of my neck.

A fucking hickey.

Stupid (sexy) Asshole.

I quickly follow him inside trying my best to cover my neck and thankful for the dim lighting in the lounge.

I head back over to the table to see everybody getting up and ready to leave. Jason comes over to me and hands me my bag, giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"Ready to go?" He asks. I knew what he was insinuating and I just nod. I don't pay any mind to Dacre who was chatting to the lawyers.

All ten of us pour out the lounge and workout the car situation to get back to the hotel. I watch as Dacre heads over to a motorbike and pulls a helmet over his head.

"What a poser." Jason scoffs beside me. I don't respond and bite my lip as I watch Dacre mount his bike and rev the engine. I could see his eyes on mine, through the gap in his helmet before he flips down his visor and speeds off out the parking lot. I quickly avert my eyes as Jason looks down at me and leads me to his car.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

I debated posting this bc omg I want a whole book of these two.