Staying

I knock and wait patiently behind the brown door tapping my foot absentmindedly.

The door opens and I grin at the face that greets me.

"Hello." I chirp.

"Hey, you made it." Tyler smiles giving me a hug and pulling my suitcase in behind me. His smile was only half and didnt quite reach his eyes. He lets go of me and his hand immediately goes to rub his nape.

"You ok?" I ask him.

"You're staying for a week right?" He asks, eyeing my bag.

"Yeah, why?" I ask him. "Can I not stay longer if I want to?" I add with a laugh.

"No, no. It's just your bag is all." He shrugs. "That's a lot for a week, no?"

"No. I have clothes, makeup, body and shower products, shoes and hair stuff. Also books and stuff for college." I list off.

"Alright, alright." He chuckles. "No judgement here, just curious is all. You can put your bag in your temporary room if you want." He tells me nodding the white door beside me.

"It's kind of late, huh?" I ask staring at my phone that read 10:05pm.

"Kind of. Not really bed time late. We can talk out here?" He suggests.

"You want to talk?" I ask him. I had a long day but the way he was looking at me made me feel like he maybe needed to talk with me.

"No, no. I don't want to. You can go to sleep." He says, his words not quite matching his tone.

"I can tell you want to talk." I tell him very matter-of-factly.

He doesn't say anything for a while before he sighs.

"Well we've had a weird couple of weeks. We've hung out a lot, you know?" His words weren't confident and he stuttered quite a lot. I'd never seen him like this, I found it incredibly cute. "I don't know what I'm saying." He suddenly shakes his head. "You should go to sleep." He adds.

"What? You wanted to talk?" I ask with a glint in my eyes.

"It's nothing. It's not important. It's not even- uh. Nothing, just-" He stops his rambling as a red flush slowly covers his neck and face.

"You're turning red." I point out to him with a smirk.

"It's hot in here." He defends. "I turned the heat up, so you wouldn't be cold. You're always cold." I'm sure he was meant to offend me with that statement but it was the truth.

"Will you just tell me what you wanna talk about?" I ask impatiently.

"Theres nothing! I don't wanna talk about anything. Just go to bed, it's fine." He sighs opening the door beside me, all but shoving me in and locking it behind him.

I fold my arms and look up at him expecting him to tell me.

"Are you really going to stand there until I tell you?" He asks with a sigh. I don't respond but he knows I am. "It's a lot of stuff." He mumbles quietly. "Kind of, it's not really any stuff, I guess. I don't know. Fuck." He sighs all in one breath. "Uh, uh, ok, you and I, uh, we've. I'm struggling here, just let me off the hook?" He pleads desperately.

"No." I laugh.

"Come on!" He laughs breathily and turns to head into his living room. I quickly follow behind him and grab him to stop him from going any further. "Let me go." He pleads.

"Tyler. Come on." I beg. "Just tell me."

"Look! We spent a lot of time together. Just me and you. We had fun. We had conversations." He stops himself again.

"We had conversations?" I repeat back slowly.

"Yes, that's what I wanted to tell you." He rushes out, embarrassed. His neck was now flaming red. "Goodnight." He says stepping away from me.

"Ty." I warn him as he takes another step.

"Just go to bed. Come on." His voice trails off into nervous laughter as he turns back around to face me. He groans when he looks at my face. "I have a feeling you know and you're just trying to drag it out of me. I -" he pauses, "need you to go to sleep. Really bad. Like go in there and get naked and just go to sleep." He begs me again.

"Oh, naked, huh?" I ask with a smirk. "You want me to get naked and go to sleep?" I feign confusion.

"No! Fuck! That's not what I meant." He quickly corrects himself. "Ju- that's how I go to bed. Just go to bed!"

"I should go to bed?" I ask him again slowly.

"I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, I just need this conversation to be over. I need you to go into that room and away from me before I tell you that I like yo- oh." He stops abruptly as I gasp dramatically. I knew it was coming, I just love teasing him.

"Fuck! You no what? None of that happened. Poof. All of that vanished. It was all a dream. You came over, you went to bed. Nothing else happened." He blurts out animatedly flailing his arms about.

My lips turn upwards almost creepily as I smile at him.

"That was cute." I coo.

"Don't look at me like that. Don't call me that. I do not like that." He tells me. I shrug. "I was just confused. We spent a lot of time together, I don't know where that came from. I was just embarrassed." He retracts.

"Why would you be embarrassed?" I ask him my voice a few pitches higher.

"Because, I just am. Why wouldnt I be?" He asks me. His eyes desperately beg me to drop the subject and I decide to put him out his misery.

"Because, I like you too." I tell him, closing the gap between us and taking his hands between mine.

"You do?" He asks quietly not looking directly at me. I nod. "Wait, what the fuck? Why did you drag that shit out for so long?" He asks angrily pushing me away.

"Calm down. It was funny." I scoff pulling him closer again.

"You're mean." He pouts and I kiss his lips smiling slightly.