12 - (y/n)

Tom spoke at an insanely fast pace, nervously. So fast, in fact, that you struggled to keep up with what he was saying. Nevertheless, for the biggest part, you were sure that he had said he would text you about the next time you should meet up. Something about schedules and signing papers, on set- meeting him at his place?

You pushed the idea of actually going to Tom Holland's house out of your head and instead levelled down to recognise the issues at hand: He had no way of contacting you yet. All the planning for this meeting and interview had been done through Zendaya (which reminded you that you should probably send her a gift basket... or 20).

Tom kept talking, and you were just trying to figure out how to tell him about the problem when he finally slowed down. His eyes widened in realisation.

"Oh, wait- I don't even have your number-" he quickly pulled out his phone from his pocket, almost dropping it to the ground. "Here, uhm," he kept on talking while tapping his screen. "Here, you can just add yourself."

He handed you the phone, which you took from him in your trembling hand. You tried to type in your number as fast as possible so he wouldn't notice your hands were actually shaking. Sure, you had given other people your number before, but this was Tom Holland. Saying his name, even though only in your head, with him sitting right in front of you felt absurd. His dark eyes were glued to you; you could basically feel him looking at you as you clicked the "save" button and then handed him back his phone. Just in time, amidst your nerves, you remembered to smile.

Tom was tapping away on his screen, which made you unsure of what to do next. Were you supposed to say something? Thank him for the opportunity? Or would that be too sappy? But then, your phone went off, buzzing on the table. It jumped a few millimetres to the side due to the vibration. Seeing the eager look Tom was giving you, you picked up your phone and, like suspected, saw a notification from your messenger app:

HI :) (It's Tom, btw)

As if you needed that clarification, you laughed to yourself.

Not wanting to be rude, you put the phone back down and put your attention back to Tom. His smile seemed to be growing bigger and wider, like a child holding on to a secret. He was excited, you could tell. The two of you looked at each other, neither sure of what the next step in this exchange should be. A tiny bit of you was getting a bit intimidated by Tom looking at you. However pretty those brown eyes were, they were still Tom's, and in the back of your head, that was a huge reason to freak out.

And freaking out now was definitely not the answer. Not now that you have done so well already, being able to not embarrass yourself too much. You looked at the wall next to your table and glanced at the random pieces of memorabilia hanging on it. Tom followed your gaze, clearing his throat.

The silence between you, since the text message, couldn't have lasted for longer than 5 seconds, but it felt like an eternity in your head.

"So, I'll add you into all the chats later," Tom said, making you wonder how many chats there would be. "I hope that's okay?"

"Yeah, of course." It just made you nervous to think about who you'd be in all these chats with, but you just kept on reminding yourself to wait with the freak out until you're home alone. But even with that mantra on a loop, you still blurted out:

"So, can I assume I got the job?" before he could answer, or probably even comprehend your words, you added in what you hoped would save the situation. "I mean, not to sound too pushy or something. Honestly, when Zendaya called me I thought it was a joke, but the timing was so perfect- I've been looking for work for a while now, you see- and I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this, but what I mean to say is... thank you."

Nailed it. The situation was definitely solved.

You were ready to dig your own grave, make yourself comfortable in the coffin because there could not be something possibly worse than what you had just done. Although, that thought had roamed your mind already several times that day and yet, you kept on making things worse, so who knows-

But Tom just laughed. And it wasn't even at you. It was charming, sweet. "To be honest, you were my only choice." He said it with that constant smile of his, so it didn't make you feel like it was meant to be a disheartening comment, but the joy in you definitely faded for a moment. And you had not meant to show that on your exterior, but perhaps Tom had noticed the wavering in your face because he quickly apologised.

"Oh no, that definitely came out all wrong. Yes, you were the only candidate, but even if there were ten others, I still really think I would have chosen you for the job."

You had no response to that. Your mouth couldn't even form a small "thank you", so you just hoped that your blank expression could convey that sentiment to Tom. He pushed back your CV so you could put it back in your bag. It was very strange, this whole meeting, you had gone on very well together, you thought, but then things started to come back to the official business (the actual reason you were there), and the pace of the conversation basically died down. You both looked at each other, needing the other to speak up and say something that could drive the talking on a bit more, but nothing happened.

Then, maybe as a lifeline or other form of escape, Tom looked at his watch. "I should probably be heading back, besides, I don't want to keep you too long in this dingy hole," he chuckled.

He hadn't said it very loudly, but it was apparently still loud enough for Greggy to hear, who replied with a blatant: "Oi! Watch it Holland!"

"Sorry, sorry, didn't mean it." Tom quickly made his apology but still winked at you. The wink, a mindless and playful action that clearly had no other meaning behind it whatsoever, still did not fail in leaving you with a fluttery sensation in your stomach. Your face heated up.

Both of you got up simultaneously, causing the table between you to move awkwardly. Tom sat back down before you could, letting you get out of the booth first. Once both of you were out, you were ready to say your goodbyes, but Tom wasn't there anymore. Not mentally, at least. He stared outside, out the windows.

"Shit."