Flowers in Water

I felt and heard his breath catch.

We just stood there for a while. Not talking. His arms rubbing soothing circles on my back and we were just hugging.

I sniffled and pulled away from him. "How did she-", he left the rest out.

"She jumped off a bridge that was the equivalent of a twenty story building. She", I said and laughed a humorous less laugh, "She wanted all boys. But she was happy with a girl so she could dress her up but I never liked that, I was one of the guys. One night my mom thought she saw my dad cheating on her in a bar, although he was at home with us, watching movies. She was probably drunk. Anyways she drove to the bridge that connects this city to the other, she jumped. But, not before she left a drunken suicide note in her car. She said that she was sorry and she didn't want to leave us. She told me that she wished she could have been a better mom and to the boys that they were everything she ever hoped for in a son. This was last year. I knew my mom was unstable before but I never thought she would actually jump. That's why I was so pissed about you knocking over the bookcase, me and my brothers all have jobs to keep up the household and I am trying for a sports or academics scholarship. So are the boys".

That's as far as I got until a few tears escaped and I really had no clue why I was saying this to a complete stranger. But I felt like I could trust Chase. I looked at my clock and yawned. It was twelve already. "We should get you to bed", Chase spoke my thoughts and helped me over to the bed.

He pulled the sheets overtop of me before he started moving towards the window. But I quickly grabbed his hand. "I don't want to be alone tonight", I whispered, "Stay with me?"

"Of course, beautiful", he said before kicking his shoes off and joining me on the queen size mattress.

I snuggled in closer to him and he put his arm around my waist while spooning me. I heard the beat of his heart thud against my back and I let it lull me to sleep.

****

I woke up with his arm draped around my waist. I was startled at first but I soon realized what happened last night and what day it was today. I snuggled closer and felt him pull me closer to him.

I turned around so I was facing him and put my head into his chest, breathing in his scent. It smelled like vanilla and axe. "Morning beautiful", he said huskily.

God his morning voice was hot.

"Yours is too, gorgeous".

Did I say that out loud?

"Yeah, you did", he chuckled.

He's distracted me, ugh. I need to go downstairs and help my brothers through this. I just really didn't want to leave my bed today. I looked at the clock and it said 9:00 so I missed school. My dad let me though because today was a very sad day for my family. I usually didn't get up till twelve when my dad lets me sleep in so we had a couple of hours.

"We have a couple of hours before we have to get up", I yawned, "Oh, you missed school".

He shrugged. "Your more important, you need me right now. And it's not like I haven't done this before".

I draped my leg over his waist and buried my head into his chest again. A few silent tears came down my face and he was playing with my hair, trying to soothe me. After an hour or so with me clinging to Chase I heard a soft knock on my door. I had it locked so I didn't worry too much about it. "Bec, c'mon we're going to the bridge", I heard Talon say softly.

"Mmkay", I mumbled through Chases shirt. I slowly got out of bed, wanting to go back so badly and went to my bathroom and showered.

I got out and wrapped the towel around my body and one in my hair. I didn't expect what I saw next. What I saw was a bare chested Chase sitting on my bed, reading a book. If you didn't know, I loved books, and seeing Chase read one of my favourites was definitely my definition of sexy.