Destroy the middle, it's a waste of time

Chapter Three•

"Have you lost your damn mind, old man?" he sounded disgusted, appalled, and he felt as though he had every right to be. The words that had been presented to him were more than enough to piss him off.

Katsuki was sitting in the kitchen at the island counter munching down on his Cheerios after a night of little sleep due to the large amount of homework he had to complete, even though it was his first day of school before. His father had descended down the hallway, his steps quiet and without warning, be began blabbing to Katsuki about some useless conversation he had at the post office with some woman. He was only half paying attention until his dad brought up a competition, one that required partners and of course that caught his attention instantly. His father was trying to get him to work with someone, a stranger to boot. Katsuki knew that his father was aware of his opinions about working with others so why the hell was he bringing it up?

"They'd just get in the way and hold me back. We've been over this before," he added and crossed his arms, his eyes hardening into a glare.

"Come on. You could learn something from him, Katsuki. I'm pretty sure it was the boy you competed against? The women looked familiar, I'm pretty sure I saw her with him-"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Katsuki had stood up, the glare still on his face. He dropped both his arms, his hands tense and in his fists. "He's my competition. You aren't supposed to work with your enemies."

Masaru weakly rolled his eyes and let a soft sigh leave his lips. "You can't be enemies, you've never even met." Soft, calm. Even with his son's yelling and cruel language, he managed to keep his voice and whole demeanour calm. Yelling back would cause Katsuki to yell louder and then he'd yell louder, from there it would just spiral out of control. Besides, yelling wasn't in his nature.

"Like hell we aren't," Katsuki spat back. "You're crazy for even thinking that."

1 2 3 4 8 seconds of pure silence went by. The entire world seemed to have frozen as the two stared each other down, one with a soft stare full of care and love whilst the other had an angry, stubborn scowl. Neither of them were going to budge.

"Your mother would make you do it."

.

.

.

Katsuki instantly caved.

He shrank into himself, the anger in his eyes softening and his fists relaxing. His body fell back onto the stool. All strength in his body faded away. Masaru used that card, even after all those years he still used her against him. Even though she no longer walked the earth, she still had so much control over Katsuki.

"I'll think about it," he mumbled as he turned his body around to face the counter again. He was still angry at his dad and the whole situation at hand; the fact that his dad still used that card on him five years later just added more gas to the raging fire inside his cut.

I'll think about it. That basically meant yes, they both knew that.

The older man smiled and placed his hand on his son's shoulder, letting it linger for several long seconds. "Good, I'll let them know," he said and walked away to the door, leaving Katsuki to eat his Cheerios on his own whilst dealing with his own thoughts that corrupted his mind.

He had some time to kill before he needed to head out for school so to pass the time he decided to look up the brat that he would have to be partners with for the next several weeks.. He did his best to remember the guy's name and in the end, he just remember his first name but that was enough.