A lifeless face that you'll soon forget

Chapter Twenty Two•

Not responding to Katsuki was by far one of the biggest mistakes Kirishima has made in his short life, and here, in the hallways of some shitty public highschool was where he was going to be strangled by the angry gremlin stomping his way. He could hear him moving down the hall, shouting about how he should cut Kirisishima's tongue out of his head for making him worry.

Katsuki was in front of him. A mere several inches and a sliver of the world between them. His breath was hot, heavy, and ragged as it collided with Kirisihima's skin. In his chest, his heart was slamming so hard against his chest he was certain that eventually, the bones would begin to crack, and in the middle of the bustling hallway on that Monday morning, his heart would fall out of his chest for everyone to see. He tried to conjure the image of his beating heart covered in small hairs and chip crumbs it picked up from the ugly purple carpet covered most areas of the school.

It was an unsuccessful attempt. Kirishima couldn't remember what the hell the anatomical shape of a heart looked like. It's hard to picture something you can't remember. Plus, he's also never seen a chip crumb in his entire life. They were always too small for his shit eyes to see, always so light in colour.

"Fucking answer me, Shitty Hair," Katsuki spat. Kirishima didn't hear the words until after Katsuki slammed his hand on the locker to the left of Kirishima's head, and repeated them in a much more aggressive tone.

"Oh, uh, sorry, bro, I didn't hear what you said..." Kirishima trailed off. Behind him, Kaminari and Mina mulled over the fact that Kirishima hadn't heard Katsuki's yelling, because they were certain the people living in the next town over could hear his demonic screeching.

"Why the fuck didn't you answer my text on Saturday, Shit-For-Brains." It wasn't a question. It was a demand.

Kirishima smiled sheepishly, rubbed the back of his neck to buy himself some time. That night, he didn't know what to say. After a text like that, after a text that suggested so many things and left way too many questions mulling over in his head, he was perplexed. His hands fumbled over the keys for what felt like hours, trying to type possible responses but nothing seemed right. Hell, he was half tempted to question what the hell Katsuki meant by such a text but even that felt wrong and out of place.

"I fell asleep. Totally crashed. I was still in my jeans when I woke up," he replied, praying in the deepest parts of his mind that Katsuki wouldn't see through the bullshit. That was a stupid talent of his; seeing through anyone and everyone's lies, and if he caught you lying, you're as good as dead. It was terrifying at the start. It felt like every part of his mind was exposed and open for the entire world to see. Then, at the drop of a hat, it wasn't scary anymore. He couldn't help but grow fond of it. Being exposed, if it meant being exposed to Katsuki, wasn't something he minded anymore.

Katsuki's stare was starting to seer into Kirishima's skin, creating fresh lines across his face as Katsuki's travelled from his forehead, then down to his chin, and from his right cheek to his left cheek, examining every inch of his face. He was trying to find the lie, trying to find the certainty in Kirishima's face that he was lying about passing out during the middle of their conversation.

"Mhm... alright. Do it again and I'll rip your tongue out of your mouth."

All Kirishima could hear after that was the sound of Katsuki's heavy walk carrying him down the hallway. Finally, he could breathe. A breath escaped from between his lips, heavy and loud and totally exaggerated.

"Dude, there's some serious sexual tension there," Kaminari said as he shook his head. "When're you guys gonna fuck?"

"Kami!" Mina scolded. "Have some compassion. Kirishima doesn't know what he's doing."