Family Bonding

"And you're sure?", May asked into the phone on her way out of work.

"I missed this past month, have been getting this pit in my stomach, and ended up having morning sickness yesterday. Pretty damn sure.", Pepper insisted on the other side of the line. Her tone was slightly panicked and hushed. 

May took a breath while starting the car. "Well, I'm headed to our usual spot.", she informed the businesswoman while driving.

"Good. See you there.", Pepper breathed out before hanging up and taking one of her less-conspicuous cars. Every now and then, especially ever since the engagement, the two ladies would meet up for coffee and talk. Most of it was about the wedding preparations, but they would 'gossip' about the boys every now and then. In the midst of it, they had become close friends. It was nice.

They greeted each other in the parking lot of a run-down cafe that was sure to let them talk without too much of a bothering. They would know; it hasn't happened yet.

The two women walked up to the counter and took their orders. May had her usual, while Pepper looked at the menu hung up a little longer. All of a sudden, maybe coffee wasn't the best thing for her right now. Instead, she opted for a mint tea and a little set of apple pastries from the counter.

Oh God, this is happening.    

The two sat in two chairs in the corner before talking.

"Well, congratulations. If I remember, you two have been talking about having kids for a while.", May began, setting down her purse. Pepper shrugged, obviously still a little tense. "Well yeah, but the whole thing is kind of overwhelming. I mean, first the wedding, and now this, and I still have to keep the company together and it's still reeling about the recent news. The media's been a total sh*tstorm about the whole thing and then-" May held up a finger, stopping the rather perplexed younger woman. No one had done that to her before.

"One thing at a time, alright? You've still got a few months. The wedding's in two, and just about everything's ready. The press will have found out a new story to suck the life out of by then. Elections are coming up, right?", May reminded in a calming tone. Pepper smiled lightly, physically relaxing. The media loved election season.

"Then you guys can start getting ready for the baby, and Peter and I will do everything we can to help. He's always wanted to be a big brother. Hell, when Ben was still around, young Peter demanded to know where babies came from so we could go there and get him a cousin.", Parker continued, looking off in the distance for a second. Pepper reached out and held her hand. Ben was still a little hard to talk about, but time was healing her.

May sighed, but pressed a smile onto her lips and turned back towards Pepper. The barista called out their order from the counter, breaking the silence. May retrieved them, taking a sip of her own. "One of the things I love about this place. They always make the brew just right. I will never understand the hype behind Starbucks. Every time I try that place, it always ends up charred.", May thought aloud. Pepper nodded in agreement, taking a sip of her tea.

The businesswoman held the cup slightly, lost in thought. "So. I finally managed to pick a dress.", she finally said, shifting the conversation. May's eyes lit up slightly, shifting in her chair to see the pictures. *I know you don't have to see it, (and probably don't want too) but here.*

"I like it! Simple, but elegant

"I like it! Simple, but elegant.", she commented excitedly. "My dress was far too poofy for my liking, but I wanted to feel like a princess, so.", the woman shrugged, making Pepper chuckle slightly. "I think I've outgrown that stage. Thankfully."

The two friends kept talking in a similar manner until they finished their drinks and had to head back to their respective homes. When the two hugged in the parking lot, a freshly roasted piece of vehicle was narrowly caught by a string of webbing above them. Peter gently set the piece down and awkwardly greeted, "Ladies."

"Spider-Man.", Pepper returned, while May simply waved and tapped her watch in his direction.

"I know, I know.", the teen reassured before swinging off to catch the bad guy. The women giggled before waving goodbye and driving back. May went to her apartment and started making enough dinner for a normal-people football team (or one aunt and an enhanced teenager) while Miss Virginia Pepper soon-to-be-Stark took the drive to gather her words for the announcement, only to prep one of those "clever" ways instead. (She stuck a single bun in the unheated oven.

Bets are on for how long it takes Tony to notice and get the message.)