Chapter 9 - Training

Things had been a bit awkward between my uncle and I after the whole thing at SHIELD. I've been there a few more times since then doing all the tests I needed to before I started my training. My first official day of a training agent is today. I am also taking my uncles name Coulson to really move on from my past. I also have now been given a room here that I have been staying in the lts few days.

I was currently sitting, waiting for my new instructor to arrive feeling very 'Derek'. I had been given a SHIELD outfit to wear 'at all times' which consisted of black leather bottoms, combat shoes and a black leather top that zipped up in the front. On my right shoulder the SHIELD emblem was embedded into the material. There was also a holster on my left leg and on my waist. I hadn't actually been given any weapons yet though as I needed to train with my instructor first. Speaking of which a very familiar redhead walked up to where I was sitting.

"Stiles. I'm your instructor. You can call me Romanoff, I met you the first time you came here." I nodded my head.

"Yeah I remember you."

"Good, anyway follow me." She started walking off and I quickly got up and followed. "We will be doing hand to hand combat before moving on to various weapons. Every SHIELD agent has their own individual favourite weapon. Mine are taster disk while Agent Barton's is a bow and arrow, you met him right?" Barton... oh yeah Clint!

"Yeah, he's cool." We stopped as she entered a code and the door in front of us opened. "Wow." The room had a sleek design and multiple rings and various exercise equipment was spread out. There was a couple other Agents working out and I could see maybe one or two other trainees. I could see that Romanoff was smirking.

"Come on, we're in the left ring." The one she was talking about was small and definitely wasn't brand new.

"So what exactly are we doing?"

"Well for a start do you know any hand to hand combat?" I shook my head. "So that's where we start." She suddenly took a jab at my head but thankfully I ducked in time.

"What the hell was that for?" She didn't reply but instead swung her legs under my feet. I jumped and just missed her leg. She seemed surprised and impressed. Romanoff just kept going out me and I kept dodging until finally I fell on my ass.

"You know you're pretty good. At dodging that is. My last trainee got hit first time. Where'd you learn and why isn't it in your file?" Of course she looked in my file. Thankfully Fury kept two copies, my real one with all the supernatural crap in it and the one anyone could see.

"What do you mean? I haven't ever gone to any classes." She tilted her head and stared at me.

"Your not lying, but somethings up." Ahhhh shit.

"No there's not." My voice was rushed and feeble as I moved the conversation along. "So what's next you actually going to teach me something?" At this she raised her eyebrows.

"Okay, hit me." I gave it my best shot but she was pretty quick at dodging too. "Again." I tried again and this time she pulled me to the ground. "Again."

"Again." After four hours that word had got a bit repetitive. It turns out I am pathetic when it comes to actually attacking someone when that someone isn't attacking me. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and regained my position. One thing I had learned to do right was fighting positions.

I tried punching Romanoff in the stomach but she caught my hand. I then brought up my leg and kicked he away. She quickly bounced back though and tried jumping on me but I rolled under her. I ten go to attack her again but she swipes her feet under mine. In my exhaustion I don't see them coming and I fall onto my back.

"OKay, I-I give up." I say in between pants.

"Okay." I perk up a little at her words. "But only for today. we will be doing this again tomorrow and the day after that until you get at least the basics." I groan and flop back down. She laughs at me.

"I want to die." She passes me my water bottle I acquired after I kept complaining.

"Hey you did good, keep up the work and make sure you do core exercises every morning and night." She started to leave the now empty training room.

"Uh huh, will do." I give her a mock thumbs up as I slowly stand and gather my things. I had long since taken the leather top of and just had the black sports t-shirt on that I was wearing underneath, though I now slipped it back on but left it unzipped.

On my way back to my room I noticed Phil looking at a tablet in the control room.

"Hey Phil, whatcha doing?" He looked up at me and smiled.

"Hi, I heard from Romanoff that you did pretty well." I scoff.

"If you mean dying pretty well then yeah. Anyway don't avoid the question." Phil shook his head smiling.

"It's classified." I face fell.

"What? even for nephews?"

"Yep, especially for nephews named Stiles." I laugh. "So how are you fitting in here?"

"Alright I guess, it's better the getting fred from every job I try and get so. But I do really like it here." You know this is the only job I have had that has lasted over two days. I wonder why?

"That's good. Just be careful alright." I told me sternly.

"Yeah I know."

"Good, oh and good luck with Romanoff!" He called out as he walked off.

I finally reached my room and jumped onto my bed. My stuff just in a pile on the floor.

"Home sweet home."