Chapter 1: The Future

11:50 a.m.

Crisis City is a very apocalyptic place: everything's in flames, buildings everywhere, you name it. Levitating through the air is a 12-year-old white hedgehog. He has five large quills sticking from his forehead, and two larger ones on the back of his lower head. He has yellow eyes, peach skin, and a little bit of white chest fur sticking out of his black shirt, as it's very common for boys to hit puberty around the same time as girls in this time period. And speaking of clothing, he is also wearing white gloves with glowing sea green circles on them, blue jeans, and black boots with a vertical white line on each boot. 

This world was devastated before I was born, the hedgehog narrates in his head. A harsh bleak place, where we live in eternal darkness. Life is a struggle, and people live without hope. How did this happen? No one will answer me directly. But they always point to the flames. 

A blast of flames block the kid's pathway, causing him to use his psychic abilities to move the fire away. 

He keeps narrating, These flames: they burn away at my world, destroying everything in its path. They come from an eternal life form that we cannot truly defeat. But I, Silver Venice Faust, know how to defeat him this time! I will defeat, the Flames of Disaster, known as 'Iblis'...

Silver halts to a stop towards the edge of a cliff when a teleporting hole emerges in the sky. A young, lavender purple cat is screaming as she falls out of the hole. Curious to what just happened, Silver rushes over asking, "Are you okay?" 

The cat looks up at Silver and says, "I'm alright." She gets up, wearing a purple hooded sweater over a white shirt with a glittery magenta and purple heart on it, white gloves, dark blue boot-cut jeans, and purple Converse sneakers. Her hair is tied up in a high ponytail, she sports golden yellow eyes, and has a white muzzle. She asks Silver, "Where am I?" 

"You're in Crisis City," answers Silver. "Why do you ask?" 

"Because my Sol Emeralds told me there was danger up ahead in the future," says the feline, then looks at the clock one her watch. She notices that the current year read is '2206'; not '2006' like her usual time. 

"Wow!" she exclaims. "When the Sol Emeralds told there was danger in the future, I didn't think they'd take me this far! 200 years is a very long time!" 

Silver finds this very weird. "Um...I kind of have a problem, if you're wondering. This city is being attacked by a fire monster, and I kind of need help destroying it." 

"Okay," the cat says, "but I'm gonna have a problem of my own: I won't be able to attack the monster because of my fire abilities! Fire against fire just doesn't work." 

"That sucks," Silver says, looking down at the ground. He looks back up at her and asks, "Can you at least tell me how to attack him? I feel like I'm doing something wrong." 

The girl nods yes. Silver smiles saying, "Great! I'm Silver. What's your name, by the way?" 

Oh now you ask me my name, the cat says in her head. Shrugging off that thought bubble, she answers him, "I'm Blaze. Show me where this monster is." 

Silver agrees as he and Blaze walk through the destroyed city. Blaze decides to keep the conversation going by asking the hedgehog, "Is this what you do everyday? How did all of this happen?" 

"Pretty much," Silver answers her questions. "I don't know how all of this happened, but I don't care. I just want him gone forever! What do you do on a regular basis? It must be better than what I do." 

"I'm the princess of the Sol Kingdom," Blaze answers casually. 

Silver climbs up a rope leading to a cliff saying, "You're a princess? That's so cool!" 

"Being a princess isn't all cracked up to be," Blaze responds as she follows the white hedgehog. "Trust me." 

Just then, a loud, screeching roar is heard from a distance. Silver turns to Blaze telling her, "That means Iblis is close by. Let's go!" 

They keep walking and see a giant magma monster grabbing hold of a skyscraper. This is Iblis, or more specifically, Iblis' first form: a long body with four arms. The beast sees Silver and Blaze and starts screaming at them. 

Blaze covers her ears and yells, "God, that's loud!" 

"He's a giant magma monster," Silver raises his voice to her. "What did you expect?" 

Iblis roars at Silver's comment, feeling offended. The hedgehog turns around and screams, "Come one, you monster! Let's battle!" 

Iblis roars again, ready to fight the white hedgehog. He throws the skyscraper at him, only for Silver to catch it with his psychic powers and throw it back, causing it to hit Iblis' chest. The magma being then picks up a gray car, only to place it back on the cliff. 

Silver sighs. "He always does this in his first form," he starts complaining. 

"You mean this isn't Iblis' only form?!" Blaze exclaims, shocked. 

"He has two other forms," Silver explains. "In this form, since he has four arms, he takes forever to find the perfect object to throw at me." 

"I see..." the 11-year-old cat observes, but then notices something. "Wait, if he has four arms, then why does he take forever to throw something at you?" 

"'Cause he's an idiot," Silver answers, then dodges a building an angry Iblis just threw at him. The hedgehog uses his powers to pick up that building and screams to the monster, "You just messed with the wrong hedgehog!" 

He throws the building at Iblis' head, causing the ladder to faint and sink into the lava. The brave pre-teens look down at Iblis sinking, with Blaze asking, "How does he sink into something he's made of?" 

"I have no idea," answers Silver. "We may have stopped him for now, but after a few hours or a long day, he'll rise up from those ashes again." 

"So basically, he can't get killed?" Blaze wonders. 

"I guess so," he answers, then punches a nearby wall in frustration. "What's the point of all this? I have been battling Iblis for six years, and nothing good comes out of it! Sure I win sometimes, but just once, I'd like for Iblis to die for once and for all! Now tell me...how do we completely destroy Iblis?!" 

"By knowing the truth, of course," a deep voice answers the 12-year-old boy; that deep voice belongs to none other than Mephiles, who is standing on a small broken building. "Just as a flower comes from a seed, and a chicken comes from an egg, everything has its origin. You must find the being originally responsible for this catastrophe." 

Curious to what Mephiles is saying, Silver asks, "Is that really the answer to our problem?" 

Blaze closes her eyes and shakes her head in disbelief. She then grabs Silver's arm and whispers, "I don't think we should trust him." 

"Why not?" Silver whispers back. "He could be our last hope for a good future!" 

"He doesn't even have a mouth!" she whispers back to him. 

"I heard that!" Mephiles says to Blaze. He walks over and says to Silver, "Come with me if you want a good future." 

After the dark gray hedgehog drifts off, Silver says to Blaze, "No one else will tell me anything! You're lucky this is the first time I've seen that guy. Who knows? He might have all the answers." 

Blaze sighs, still unsure what to make of that creepy being. She guesses she'll come along, but only to make sure Silver stays safe, because he doesn't know what kind of trouble he's getting himself into. 

"Fine," she answers. "I'll come along." 

Silver smiles and nods as they begin to follow Mephiles. 

And that was the first real  chapter of this story, as the previous chapter was just the prologue. Make sure to give me your thoughts on the story so far! I'd love to see what you think of some of the changes so far.