Chapter 4: Doing Their Jobs

Sunday, November 12; 7:30 a.m.

After a nine-hour-long sleep, Shadow and Rouge enter a control room in Eggman's base. They see a giant computer screen showing the Soleanna map. 

"Wow," an amazed Rouge says, looking at the map. "Soleanna is huge."

"I know," Shadow agrees. He turns to his left and sees a framed picture of Princess Elise. "Man, that chick is pretty." 

Rouge turns to the hedgehog and says to him, "That chick is Soleanna's current sovereign Princess Elise the Third." 

"Hm," Shadow responds in a light mumble. As Rouge looks up some information on the scepter she found last night on the computer, he asks her, "Do you wonder how much pressure this princess has ruling over her city? She is 17, after all." 

"I'm not sure," answers Rouge. "but I can imagine it being difficult since both her parents died when she was little." 

A notification on the computer pops up, and Rouge clicks on it. Shadow turns around and sees what she's up to. "Did you find anything?" 

"Yes actually," she answers. "There's actually more info on the Scepter of Darkness in Kingdom Valley; the G.U.N. rendezvous point." 

"Okay," Shadow listens. "How do we get there?" 

"I don't know," says Rouge. "I guess we could call one of the agents for a helicopter." 

------------------------------------------------------

9:00 a.m.

In Soleanna, Sonic, Tails, and Steve walk around for help. They offered Knuckles to come, but he decided to hang back at the hotel in case Amy returns. As for the citizens, almost none of them really seem to care that Elise is missing. One woman even told them that they were wasting their time! 

"Does anyone care that their princess is missing?" Sonic wonders, almost going crazy. "She rules this city for crying out loud!" 

"Not to mention the guards aren't any help," Steve adds. "I saw one of them playing guessing games with a bunch of kids!" 

In the nick of time, they end up bumping into about five guards; all human, wearing dark green uniforms, matching tall hats, white gloves, and black combat boots.  

"And where are you three going?" one guard asks them. 

"We're looking for your princess," answers Steve. 

The guards listen. Sonic adds, "She was kidnapped by Dr. Eggman last night." 

"Oh we know," another guard responds. "And?"

"Did any of you see a big air craft in the sky last night?" Tails asks the guards. 

"Yeah!" the first guard answers. "I think it was heading towards Wave Ocean." 

The third guard butts in. "Actually Pietro," he says to the previous man. "I saw it going east to the desert." 

"Right..." Pietro says, turning to Sonic and the foxes. "If you three want to go to the desert, you have to guess who the captain is." 

"WHAT?!" the animals shriek in unison. They don't time for some stupid 'Guess Who the Captain Is?' game! This is an emergency, damn it! 

"Forget who the captain is!" Steve yells. "Your princess has been captured! You can't do this to us!" 

"Oh yes he can," the fourth guard taunts the adult fox. 

"And without Princess Elise," the fifth one adds. "we're basically the rulers of this kingdom!" 

Sonic and Tails exchange worried looks, while Steve grits his teeth and furrows his eyebrows. Is that how the guards really feel about their sovereign?! Disgusting! 

"You people make me sick!" he yells to the guards, walking off. "Sonic and Tails, you're on your own!" 

As he was about to completely leave the area, a young human boy walks over and explains, "Hey, my dog went missing. His name is 'Pele'; can you help me look for him?" 

Steve turns to the boy and says, "Sure kid. I'd be happy to help." Then the two walk away from the group completely. 

With that out of the way, Pietro asks Sonic and Tails, "Alright kids, who do you think the captain is?" 

Sonic looks around at the other guards. No way any of them are 'captain material'. He's not even sure if the first one is capable of being a worthy leader. 

Tails, on the other hand, immediately answers to Pietro, "It's you, isn't it?" 

Pietro smiles. "Why yes it is, young boy," he answers the two-tailed fox. "You two are allowed to look for the princess with me." 

"Nice job, Tails!" Sonic compliments his friend. "How did you know that one was the captain?" 

"Lucky guess," Tails just casually answers. 

------------------------------------------------------

And that was Chapter 4! About Soleanna's guards... I really hope they actually do care for Princess Elise. 

Remember to vote and write down comments!