1000 (8)

The Chase

Pulsing-- like the reverb of a large bell after ringing. Your head was at war with itself, a grainy ringing sound resonating loudly through your ears. For a moment, you had forgotten what had happened, but Hank's growling brought you back to Earth. There was a deviant in this apartment, and he was getting away.

You looked up to see a pair of well-kept, black dress shoes chasing a pair of dirty Converse down the hallway and out of the apartment. A hand reached out from the ceiling and taunted you with its fingers. It's almost as if it were begging for something. A voice called out nearby, the sound waves bouncing off of the wooden floors and paper walls, causing your head to pulse again.

"Kid, just grab my fucking hand!" The voice grunted, and you slowly reached up towards its fingers with your own. Your young skin collided with weathered, textured fingertips, and you were pulled to your feet in one motion. The hand dragged you down the dusty hallway and into the corridor, and you flinched as you were brought outside into the bright, cruel sunlight.

Matter over mind, you still couldn't succumb to your senses. You think you were running up steps, but you didn't know how you were. You felt like you were falling forward with every step, but you were running with so much speed. You felt like the inertia of your own running was too much for your legs to compile, but somehow you were doing it. You felt like a superhero, but that feeling was far from the truth.

In reality, Hank was guiding you up several cases of stairs, and running across walkways and rooftops in order to catch up to Connor and the deviant. He had almost thought about leaving you behind a couple of times and then coming back for you after the deviant had been dealt with, but he couldn't. He was afraid that you'd get up in your disoriented state and wander off the edge of some rooftop by accident, and that's something he would never be able to forgive himself for. The two of you were actually gaining ground on the two androids, but there was a stopping point where Hank let you go in order to look around for Connor. You tried looking as well, but all you could see were tall stalks of grain, corn, flowers, something... you couldn't tell what. You were too dizzy.

In the distance, you saw a fast-moving blur of dark colors moving through the tall stalks of vegetation. You attempted to get closer to it, even though every buried instinct was telling you not to. You didn't know why, though. You felt a sudden pressure on your chest and before you knew it, you saw the sky. You saw the wispy white and gray clouds, the birds soaring overhead, the rooftop of the building to your left, and the hand. Again.

You didn't know why, but your own hand stuck itself out and grabbed the edge of the building. You felt like you were swimming in the sky, the wind chilling your ankles and whipping your loose hairs around the frame of your face as you dangled off the edge. You were kissing Death right on the cheek, and you couldn't even come to terms to realize it. You were having too much fun swimming through the murky clouds. You forgot about the hand, however, and your fun ended as it pulled you back to a cold, concrete surface. The sensation had the very same feeling of being pulled out of water. You rolled onto your back, your head lying on someone's lap as if their legs were a soft pillow. They were so soft, so comfortable, and you fell asleep to the sound of a gunshot ringing out over the city.

--

The sun was too bright. You wanted to reach over and close the curtains shut, but they were far out of your reach. Your arm fell limp as you realized that your attempt was fruitless, and your eyes remained half-lidded as you sat up. You suddenly fell fearful of your surroundings. You were in your room, but it was different somehow. It felt warmer than usual, and there wasn't a pile of socks waiting for you to step on them as you swung your legs over the edge of the bed. There were no socks anywhere on the floor, in fact. You lifted a single brow in confusion. Your apartment didn't nearly feel as dirty and unwelcoming as before. It felt warm, clean, and cozy-- just like a home should.