1011 (11)

The Stratford Incident

The cold Detroit air stung your face like little wasps while you went about running errands around the city. The snow crunched underneath everyone's shoes as they walked, the underside of their soles leaving patterns in the crisp, white blanket of fresh snow. The snow on the street had once been white, but now was a murky grey color due to all of the cars driving on the slick roads.

You were still out of work due to your concussion. You had told Fowler that you could've worked today if he would've allowed you to, to which he responded by asking you how many Excedrins you had taken that morning. Your answer to him was "two," and he replied with a firm "see you tomorrow" before hanging up on you.

Here you were, standing on a busy commercial street in the middle of the city, little flakes of snow landing on your face as you waited to take the bus. You didn't feel safe driving since you had rushes of vertigo and migraines from time to time due to your condition, so you opted to take the bus instead.

Connor and Hank still had to work, despite your head injury. They would be missing a partner until tomorrow, but that's just how the police industry works. Sometimes you just gotta keep going with or without your partner. Since they were out working, you had no one else to drive you around, hence the second reason you were taking the bus rather than driving in a nice, warm car.

You tried burying your flushed nose into the pit of your scarf further, your chapped lips brushing up against the soft fabric as your teeth chattered. It was currently so cold that your entire face felt dry, and your eyes watered because the cold air kept attacking them with its stinger. The bus wouldn't come for another five minutes, so you were stuck sitting here until then.

Your eyes darted from place to place as you waited, analysing people as they walked by. You counted 19 androids and 11 humans pass by you, but at this point in the deviant android investigation, the number of androids could've easily been higher.

"Fuck..." You chattered, your words coming out as a forced whisper rather than a real complaint. It was too cold to complain about anything.

You stood up hurriedly and paced back and forth in front of the bus stop in an attempt to stay warm, but as long as the flurries of snow kept falling, there would be no way to get warmer until the bus came. Just thought of the heated bus made you feel a little bit warmer.

It was like the bus knew you were thinking about its arrival because as you pictured the bus in your mind, you saw it stopped at an intersection in the distance. Your expression lifted at the sight, becoming hopeful of your current situation.

However, the bus wasn't the only thing you saw in the distance. You saw various people pointing towards the sky, behind you. Panic was evident in many of their faces. You slowly turned to view whatever these people were pointing at, and what you saw left you in shock as well.

In the distance, you saw three figures falling off the rooftop of the Stratford Tower, one of the tallest broadcast towers in Detroit. You nearly had a heart attack, thinking that it was a mass suicide attempt. Within mere moments of seeing the three figures falling, you saw parachutes emerge from their backs. The panic left your system and was replaced with confusion, leaving you wondering what caused the people to want to parachute off of the tower. Maybe it was just recreational? But who would want to go parachuting in this weather? No, recreational parachuting would never be allowed near this many tall buildings. You would have to wait until you got home to investigate the situation.

Speaking of getting home, you were so enthralled in watching the scene before you that you didn't realize that the bus had finally pulled up to the bus stop and was waiting for you to get on. The driver cleared his throat, getting your attention.