0010 0001 (33)

Aid Me

"We made it..." Connor whispered after fully resting in the driver's seat of the car. He looked to you with bright eyes, those gorgeous siennas glistening in the white, florescent overhead lights that flooded in through the glass windows.

You slammed the car door shut after getting in, a few flakes of snow falling onto your lap as you tilted your head downward. You reached into your roughed-up denim backpack and pulled out a soft cloth and a bottle of thirium-310 wrapped in an old t-shirt. The whole t-shirt thing was implemented just in case security wanted to dig through more than just the top of your bag. You gave the newly unwrapped bottle to the patient android waiting in the driver's seat, and twisted your body around to face the back seats so that you could have easier access to the cooler you packed your drinks in.

Some of the ice in the cooler stuck to your fingers as you dove your hand inside in search of one of the many water bottles you had packed. Once the tips of your fingers met with the crinkly, smooth plastic of the cold bottle, you pulled it out and carefully twisted the cap open as to not spill anything in the car.

"Wait, you packed all of this stuff for me?" Connor inquired. You felt his eyes watching you cautiously as you poured some of the cold water onto the small washcloth you were holding in your hand.

"Of course. You can never expect things to go smoothly, and look at what happened," You replied plainly, too focused on what you were doing to answer with anything else, "Can you get the first aid kit out?"

"Where is it?"

"Underneath your seat."

You tapped your foot against the flooring of the car as you waited for him to retrieve the cheap kit of medical supplies, the soggy fabric you held in your hand chilling your fingers to the bone due to the lack of heat in the vehicle. Once he handed you the decently sized case, you unzipped the zipper and pulled the pair of tweezers out from the elastic casing they were being held by.

"I need you to lift your shirt up or take your jacket off," You told him, pinching the dainty pair of tweezers between your fingers.

Connor glanced toward the checkpoint building and then back at you, raising a single brow in confusion.

"Don't you think we should get some distance away from this place first? Just in case they see what we're doing and find out that I'm actually an android?" He suggested, leaning against the door with his back pressed up against the window.

You sighed, placing both the wet cloth and tweezers onto the surface of the first aid kit. Your eyes remained fixed on a section of the leather dashboard that was starting to peel and crack away due to many years of sun damage.

"Yeah, you're right. Not too far, though," You buckled your seatbelt and sat back in your seat, gently resting your head against the cushioned headrest that was attached to the chair.

Connor started up the car and slowly pulled out onto the slick roads, driving a few miles under the speed limit so that the wheels didn't slip against the icy pavement. He drove about a mile or two away from the station before pulling over to the side of the road again, putting the car in park, and turning the car's interior lights on so that both of you could see better. There were no highway lights this far into the rural country, so the light provided by cars were the only indications of life out here.

"You want me to take my jacket off?" Connor restated your request from earlier, his fingers hesitantly reaching around the hem of his sweatshirt.

"Yeah, I need to be able to fully see the wound," You told him as you picked up the tweezers and the washcloth again.