0001 0010 (18)

Shelter From the Storm

"Shit," You heard Connor hiss behind gritted teeth, desperately tugging on your arm as he guided you back through the large freighter behind Markus and the other android. He looked deeply troubled, his brows furrowed and his jaw tightly clenched behind his teeth. You had to put your worry for him aside, however. There would simply be no way to focus on trying to run from an army of SWAT soldiers while constantly worrying about the android running next to you. You knew that he would be okay, for now.

No matter which way you turned, you heard gun shots-- saw innocent androids fall to the ground in pools of their own thirium. The sight sickened you... gave you an insatiable thirst to pull your own gun on the SWAT officers. The act of doing so wouldn't be impossible, but there was no time. You had to keep going. You were one of many rats in a maze, yet you were determined to make it to the bitter end.

The four of you ran into the crossroads of a corridor when the female android following Markus decided to stop.

"They're coming from all sides! Our people are trapped in the hold, they're gonna be slaughtered!" She hollered, inevitable panic evident in her tone of voice.

"We have to find Josh," Markus claimed, looking down the endless corridors worriedly.

"We've all been separated. We have to find a way out," She looked just a nervous as he did.

Markus laid a finger to his right temple, right above where his LED would be if still had one. He shut his eyes, concentrating for just a few seconds before snapping them open again. He took a breath before speaking, walking closer towards the other android.

"We have to blow up Jericho," He proposed, flints of unwavering justification glittering in his heterochromia eyes, "If the ship goes down, they'll evacuate and our people can escape."

"You'll never make it!" The girl exclaims over him. "The explosives are all the way down in the hold, there are soldiers everywhere!"

"She's right," Connor announced suddenly. "They know who you are. They'll do anything to get you." He spoke rapidly.

Markus directed his attention back towards the female, "Go and help the others. I'll join you later."

"Markus..."

"I won't be long." His voice was sturdy, but he looked at her with a longing expression; his eyes were filled with anxiety, but there was something else about them that showed deep, deep concern for this female. Love.

Connor grabbed your hand out of the blue, turning to run in the other direction while Markus embarked on his mission to set off the detonators. The smell of gunpowder and the rich, metallic scent of both human and android blood was starting to make your head spin, the dust and smoke fogging up your vision just slightly. You grasped onto Connor's hand tighter, starting to fall behind the two androids due to your lack of stamina and clouded lungs.

"Connor..." You breathed, hunching over just slightly as you ran.

"Hold on, (Y/n)," He stopped running for just a moment and scooped you up into his arms, carrying you through Jericho's neverending corridors. Gunshots continued to ring out left and right against the rusted metal. Every once in a while, they would become muffled: a sure sign that they had hit their target.

The dust never seemed to clear. It just kept rising and rising the farther inwards Connor ran towards the center of the ship. It was obvious that this was where most of the soldiers were concentrated. The smell of gunpowder was especially strong this deep into the ship. However, you didn't want to cough just in case it ruined your chances of escaping. You zipped your jacket collar back up, breathing through the fleece rather than into the smoky air.

Your gun continued to rattle against your stomach, the bullets shaking up and down with each step that Connor took. You looked over his shoulder constantly, ready to warn him of any incoming danger that may attempt to overcome him from behind.

"Close your eyes, and try to hold your breath," Connor told you, suddenly pressing a hand against the back of your head and pushing it against his chest.

You did as he asked, and you felt a rush of vertigo soar through your body as the force of gravity rapidly pulled you downwards. Cold air froze your exposed skin, but nothing could compare to the freezing cold water your limbs just hit the surface of. You opened your eyes, and all you could see was water and the dark leather of Connor's jacket. Fear swam through your body as you felt the water pull down against your skin, signaling that Connor was trying to resurface. You heard another loud crash against the water as you resurfaced, followed by a wave of warm heat and incredible bursts of orange light to your left.

You gasped as you pulled away from Connor's body, your eyes faltering as you watched what was happening before you. The entire bottom half of the freighter had erupted in prominent flames, screams of terror ringing out against the metal and drilling into your ears. Out of the corner of your eye, a single android had emerged from the surface of the water near you and Connor. She immediately whipped her head towards the ship, quiet sobs and whimpers escaping her lips as she did so.

"Markus..." She sobbed, her body bobbing in the water as the waves crashed against her.

Your teeth chattered, despite your face being so warm. The rest of your body was freezing cold for it was still emerged in the wintry lake. You reached up and grabbed Connor's shoulder tightly.

"C-Connor," You spoke, your teeth still hopelessly chattering against each other. Your breath came out in white puffs of smoke in the air; snow fell gracefully on top of Connor's head.

He was suddenly snapped out of his trance, his warm, brown eyes gazing into yours almost immediately after hearing your shaky voice call out to him.

"Sorry, (Y/n)," He whispered, and started swimming to shore.

--

What remained of the revolution took hold inside of an abandoned church not far from where Jericho was originally located. Desperate cries of both injured and uninjured androids howled off of the walls, saddened to realize that their cause was now mostly hopeless. It didn't take long for everyone to discover that their leader was dead-- North, as you came to know her, and her sunken expression and cries for a hand from rA9 revealed that fact. You felt extreme pity for her. You saw the way both she and Markus looked at each other before they parted, never knowing that that time was going to be the last. Their eyes showed longing towards each other... a romance between the light and the dark as they danced through the grey.

Both you and Connor saw on a bench directly next to a flame-lit metal barrel in attempt to keep you warm while you tried to sleep. You sat with your back pressing against his sturdy chest, his strong, robotic arms wrapped around you with his hands grabbing the middle of your forearms in a protective and comforting manner. You were so... so tired. The smoke had stung your eyes and clouded your lungs to the point where you felt like doing literally anything was a hassle. Whenever you got up, you had vertigo; whenever you opened your eyes, they shut themselves closed; whenever you took a breath, your lungs forcibly pushed that air back out; whenever you thought about Jericho, you felt a bubble form in your throat.

This revolution... Markus' revolution... was slowly dying out. North would become their new leader, yet you knew that she was not ready to take on that position. She was all brute force. She could provide the willpower to lead an army to battle, but it would ultimately be her battle plans that would cause her army to fail. She lacked the wit and reason that Markus provided the revolution, and North knew that, completely.

You stirred in Connor's arms, staring at the pretty stained glass window built directly in front of you. A smile graced your lips knowing that there were still remnants of beauty during these desperate times. That thought alone was enough to soothe your racing mind, your heavy eyes fluttering closed as your head drooped against Connor's arm.