1001 (9)

Sunsets

Life is precious. You felt as if your life was as precious as one of those photos framed in a small, delicate picture frame on the wall behind your television. It was the first time you had felt like this since graduating high school. You had a tendency to forever cherish all of your momentous life events, and you cherished this time you were spending with Connor just like you would with any other.

It was almost weird to think that you had, of all people or things in the world, fallen in love with an android. And not just any android. He was your partner. Someone you worked with and are not allow to have romantic relations with. That's just how DPD's policy goes. Part of your heart felt like they had that policy implemented knowing that one day you would become a police officer and work with some of Detroit's finest. The other part of your heart knew that it was just a simple work policy; it was something to keep the workplace official and orderly. But that was just your heart. Your heart beat for Connor-- an android. A machine without the programming to love someone like you loved him.

The sun's piercing rays shone like glittering gold through your living room curtains, a single bar of gold illuminating the side of your face and the tanned leather of the sofa around you. As hot and blinding as the gold seemed, you knew it wasn't enough to melt the snow outside. Tonight would be another snowy and chilly night, you thought. Your toes chilled at the very idea of weather, curling up in little balls underneath your crossed legs.

You stared longingly at the radiator near the glistening window, the thought of its warmth causing your legs to unravel themselves from underneath you and dangle off the edge of the couch. Your legs seemed to stand on their own, supporting the weight of your upper body so that you didn't end up toppling over like a dazed mess. They walked towards the warming heat of the radiator and sat you near the window. You opened the silky curtains just a smidge more, a greater flood of golden sunlight pouring into your small apartment space. It illuminated the entire carpet and coffee table, leading a yellow brick road toward the kitchen counter and stove where Connor cooked your meal quietly.

It was almost as if the lights were a queue because he had finished cooking your meal and placed it into a shiny glass bowl. The smell of chicken broth replaced the stuffy smell of gas that your stove gave off whenever someone cooked, and the aroma intensified as Connor drew closer to you. You could tell that he was trying to juggle both walking and making sure the soup didn't spill out of the bowl at the same time. It was a funny little thing to watch-- an android, who's designed to accomplish tasks without fault, trying to balance broth within a soup bowl so that it didn't spill over by the time it made it to you. The sight also made you anxious, both for the delicious soup that would soon make its way onto your taste buds and the possibility of Connor spilling soup onto your newly cleaned carpet that was, in fact, a likely possibility.

However, the soup made it to its destination without fail, and you smiled as Connor carefully placed the bowl in front of you, steam rising from the surface of the broth. "Be careful, it might be hot," He warned, sitting cross-legged in front of you next to the radiator. You picked up the spoon gently, blowing on the steamy broth and vegetables that were on the spoon and placing it into your mouth. Despite it just being a simple vegetable soup, it tasted really good.

"Do my cooking abilities meet your expectations, (Y/n)?" Connor asked, his eyes begging for a "yes." You giggle and nod your head.

"It tastes great," You replied. As you continued to eat the soup, you couldn't help but notice Connor's curious expression as he gazed out your window. The rays of golden sunshine were hitting his face in such a manner that his features were heightened, every sharp angle and feature becoming even sharper and more prominent. The sun caused his typically dark brown eyes to lighten, his eyes now a beautiful sienna with flicks of golden light within them. His LED circled yellow, yet it was hard to tell that it was even yellow to begin with because the sunlight washed out any other amber-like shade that threatened to dominate its presence. All he was doing was sitting there, but he just looked so pretty.