0010 0000 (32)

Ice Cold

About an hour and 17 minutes later, you two had made it to the checkpoint. It was so close that you could reach out and touch it. Both yours and Connor's freedom, and the start of a new life. Here, you could start anew. No one would know your name, and no one would see Connor as a machine. He would become human, blending in with every other face there was to be found.

The December air was so icy and cold. If Hank hadn't lent you one of his old jackets, you were sure you'd freeze over right here, right now. It was colder than any weather you'd ever been in before, and you had been through quite a few snowstorms in your lifetime.

All you could do now was pray, and hope to God that they would let you through. The tickets both you and Connor bought were an hour away from expiring, and after that, you two would be ultimately screwed. There wasn't enough gas in the car to make another trip back to mainland Detroit. There was only enough to carry on to Windsor, which would be the first city you would come across after entering Ontario. After that, your goal was to make it to Toronto, where you and Connor would settle down and try to make a living. The thought of the whole ordeal excited you, causing you to hold the paper tickets in your jacket pocket tightly as you stood patiently in the long line.

A few security guards at the front gate had taken your car and belongings to examine them while you two stood in line inside the checkpoint building. Hopefully they were no longer doing temperature checks since the whole "android uprising" thing had ceased a while ago.

There were so many faces to look at while you waited. Concave cheeks or convex cheeks, large eyes or small eyes, thin lips or thick lips, outward-curved noses or inward-curved noses. So many structures, so many different stories. One face in particular had caught your eye, however. Long, square face, thin lips, dark eyes, convex cheeks, and a hint of a 5 o' clock shadow across the lower half of his face. Your eyes met awkwardly from across the distance, his brows furrowing as he caught you staring.

Why did he look so familiar? You swore you had never seen this man before in your life, but there was something about him...

Now he was getting out of line, striding toward you with long, graceful steps that meant business. You pretended not to look as he marched towards you and your lover. In fact, you held on to the dear android's arm just a bit tighter as you impatiently waited for this strange man to make his mark on you.

It was just weird now. You didn't know this man, but here he was tapping on your shoulder in an attempt to get your attention. All you did was look at him. Sure, it might have been for longer than you both would've liked, but it was ultimately harmless. You didn't seem to get what his deal was.

You turned your head to look at him, and it was just then that his eyes widened. Though, what for, you knew not.

"Holy shit..." He muttered, his hazel eyes blinking in utter disbelief. "It's you."

Now you were really confused. He knew you? You started to grow slightly fearful of this odd man, and you had every single right to be.

"You're that bitch that Alik had sent after! Holy shit, I need to tell the boss." He quickly whipped out his phone and started to dial a number, but not before Connor could smack the device out of his hand.

"Hey, what the fuck?" He glared up at Connor with a deadly eye, but Connor's gaze was just as menacing. A beast protecting his beauty.

"You're not telling anyone, anything." Connor stated threateningly, pushing you behind him as he stood to directly face the significantly shorter man.

The man gasped again as he got a full view of Connor, his mouth agape in shock, "You're that fucking android. The whole 'deviant hunter' guy, or whatever."