0001 0100 (20)

The Enemy

Connor had left shortly after he had made his promise to you, leaving you in the warmth of the embrace he had given you before heading on his mission. You decided that you would assist North in leading the revolution since she had no one else to aid her. You knew that it wasn't your place to do so, given that you were human, but you couldn't leave her to fend off the hoard on her own. You weren't just going to simply wait around for Connor to return, either.

He had given you a countersign before he left. If he hadn't returned a quarter after either sides' victory, then something had gone wrong at the CyberLife Tower. You had to relish in the hope that this would never become the case, but you couldn't be 100% sure. Just in case, he gave you his quarter to remember him by. The real him. Not any other Connor. The coin had a small scratch against Washington's face, a sure sign that this was his quarter.

North had just announced that she would be taking the fight to the humans rather than trying to make amends with them. You didn't fully support her plan, but what else could you do? This simply wasn't your fight. Your only duty you promised to her was your support in whichever approach she decided to take, even though you fully knew you would eventually come to regret your decision. There was no doubt in your mind that you would see snow stained blue and red tonight.

--

3rd Person POV

A pair of synthetic eyes scanned the large factory room before him. Hundreds upon thousands of his kind stood idly before him, each pair of eyes staring directly at the back of the head before them without any other thought about it. What a single touch of a deviant could do to this room... what it could change in the history books was grander than any other deed done before. The awakening of another race? Those created far before him would've never seen that coming.

Connor stepped forward, his shiny shoes clicking against the spotless, white floor beneath him. The clicks of his shoes were the only sounds echoing off of the walls; everything else was drowned out in unsettling silence.

His smooth jacket sleeve rustled against the fabric covering his waist region as he reached for an android's arm. The skin on his hand pulled away, revealing his plastic skeleton beneath. His hand grasped onto the arm of the other android, his eyes twitching slightly as he began to interface with him.

"Easy, you fucking piece of shit..." He heard a familiar voice speak, followed by more steps against the clean tile floor. He turned his head, immediately shocked by what he was viewing.

What he saw was an actual nightmare. His own nightmare. A mere carbon copy stood before him; every single detail had been mirrored exactly-- right down to the placement of the small marks that dotted his skin. This wasn't the only thing that surprised him, however. The fact that his copy was holding his work partner hostage was the other thing.

"Step back Connor! And I'll spare him!" The copy commanded, threatening to shoot Hank by holding a gun to his head.

"Sorry, Connor. This bastard's your spittin' image," Hank's grizzly voice called out, his head drooping ever so slightly as he stood there in the danger of the -60. He looked ashamed, almost.

The other Connor looked to Hank for but a mere moment, his gaze sending razor-sharp daggers into the lieutenant's skull before turning back to the real deal.

"You're friend's life is in your hands!" The copy began, his gun still trained on Hank's head. "Now it's time to decide what matters most: Him, or the revolution?"

"Don't listen to him," Hank growled, "Everything this fucker says is a lie."

Connor thought for a moment while staring at the two. He knew that Hank was absolutely going to be pissed at him after this situation was dealt with. He just prayed that the both of them would survive before it got to that point.

"I used to be just like you. I thought nothing mattered except the mission, but then one day I understood." Connor said, directing his speech at his imposter.

It seemed to have no effect on him, however. The android only grinned smugly before speaking again, "Very moving, Connor. But I'm not a deviant. I'm a machine designed to accomplish a task, and that's exactly what I am going to do!"

Connor heard the bullets rattle against their stock as the copy readjusted his gun, forcing it against Hank once more. He thought about his choices, ultimately deciding that he would rather save his partner than save the revolution. If worse came to worse, he knew that he could just attempt to transfer his memory into the other Connor.

"Alright, alright. You win..." Connor claimed, releasing the stoic AP700 that was still contained in his grip and stepping back from it. He held his arms up in surrender, but before he knew it, the gun was being forced on him instead.

He had only a few precious seconds to think, and those thoughts directed themselves towards the pistol he holstered on his belt. He whipped out the gun as the copy pushed his partner away, pointing it at the aggressive android. Unluckily for Connor, his poser was able to shoot first, the bullet lodging itself right in his left arm. Connor grimaced, one of his own bullets hitting the other android somewhere on his upper body. He was too focused to notice and ultimately took the chance to charge the other Connor.

The two punched, kicked, and swung at each other before they both heard the rattle of bullets against plastic. Connor didn't even try to cover his face as his copy attempted to land a punch on him. Hank was able to stop the -60, however.

"Hold it!" The old man commanded, his growly voice echoing off of the slate, clean walls. He directed his aim at the two androids slowly removing themselves from each other, his ears listening in as one of them began to thank him.

"Thanks, Hank. I don't know how I would've managed without you. Get rid of him, we have no time to lose." His imposter spoke, causing Connor to panic a little on the inside. The machinery inside of him whirred as he attempted to cool his processors down.

"It's me, Hank. I'm the real Connor." Now the gun was focused on him. Hank's eyes showed neutrality towards the both of them, but deep down, Connor could see that he too, was panicking.

"One of you is my partner... the other is a sack of shit," His aim divvied between the both of them. "Question is, who is who?"

"What are you doing, Hank? I'm the real Connor! Give me the gun and I'll-"

The copy attempted to take a step forward and Hank immediately took notice of this.

"Don't move!"

Hank pointed his gun at Connor, indicating for him to speak.

"Why don't you ask us something? Something only the real Connor would know," He suggested, becoming a little more hopeful of the situation. The lieutenant aimed his barrel back toward the -60.

"Uh, where did we first meet?"

Connor opened his mouth to speak, but his imposter was faster.

"Jimmy's Bar. I checked four other bars before I found you. We went to the scene of a homicide, the victim's name was Carlos Ortiz."

Connor slowly shut his mouth as he came to the sudden realization that this copy of him already knew everything. He had already uploaded Connor's memory...

"He uploaded my memory..." Connor whispered to himself. Hank pointed the gun at him next.

"What's my dog's name?"

"Sumo! His name is Sumo," Connor replied hastily, not wanting his copy to gain the advantage.

"I knew that too!" His imposter fibbed. The gun was back on him.

"My son... what's his name?"

His... son? Connor was well aware that the lieutenant had a son, but he didn't know of his name. It was the one thing Hank had never told him, and the one thing that Connor never had the time to figure out. The night of the Eden Club investigation...

"Anthony?" It was the first name that had come to mind, but saying so was something he would very soon come to regret.

The last thing Connor ever heard before his vision swallowed over in darkness was the sound of the gun, followed by the strange feeling of liquid running down his forehead.