0001 1010 (26)

Heart of Liquor

The rest of that car ride was awkward and uneventful. The itching aura that had radiated off of Connor made you feel guilty almost the entire time. You knew he wanted answers, but you simply didn't feel like giving them. It wasn't right. Not yet.

The autonomous taxi gave the two of you a polite "thank you" as you exited the vehicle. Machines, so far, hadn't seemed to have changed much in the past year. The only thing you found somewhat weird was the lack of androids roaming the streets, but aside from that, everything seemed pretty normal. Detroit was bustling just as it always had.

Your toes immediately curled up underneath your feet as your heels pressed up against the stone cold pavement in front of Hank's house. The numbingly cold December air chilled your skin, causing goosebumps to prickle across the flesh on your arms and legs. You hurried to reach Hank's front porch, your hands rapidly rubbing against the skin on your arms in order to stay warm. If he wasn't home, you would most likely freeze to death out here.

The doorbell gave a pleasant chime as you shakily pressed the button. The air was so cold that it made you want to curl up and clench your skin so tight that it broke. The wind felt like little, sharp needles against your delicate flesh, whipping around you so fast that you wished it would pick you up and carry you with it. Hank was taking eons to reach the door. You wondered if he would come at all.

Connor suddenly appeared next to you and banged on the paint-chipped wood with his fist several times before releasing his hand from the door and setting it back at his side. His other arm wrapped around you and pulled you close to his torso. You flinched at his touch, the way his fingertips grazed your shoulder reminding you of the last man to last touch you in such a way.

--Flashback--

"Go stand over there and look pretty for me... (Y/n)." Alik hushed in your ear, his warm breath trickling across the flesh-clad cartilage ever so slowly.

You didn't want to give into his request, but you also didn't want to accept the punishment that would come to you if didn't obey him. Alik was known for throwing ruthless punches and harsh whippings.

Reluctantly walking over the area of the room he told you to stand in, you caught a glimpse of the belongings he kept on the nearby dresser. A frilly pair of hot pink underwear, a small, well-used bottle of clear liquid, a few necklaces and bracelets, a pair of men's socks, and several diamond rings. The sight of those rings disgusted you. Never in your life would you approve of these men taking advantage of and stealing the wives of various husbands. The fact that these rings were still here made you wonder: what ever happened to those women?

You hadn't even realized how long you were standing there before Alik's voice called out to you again.

"(Y/n)..." He was close to you. Too close. So close that he was able to wrap his arm around you and caress your shoulder. "I thought I told you to go stand over there."

He pointed at the corner of the room again and released you from his hold, pushing you towards the spot he wanted you to stand in and smacking your ass. Hard. The gesture made your shoulders tense up towards your ears, your shoulder blades pinching in the back.

--Flashback End--

As soon as you saw the worn-down door fly open, you shrugged Connor's arm off from around your shoulders. The look on Hank's face was priceless, but at the same time, it caused you to cry. You were so glad to see the face of a familiar friend that you hadn't seen in so long. Too long.

"(Y-)" You cut the old man off with a bone-crushing hug; one so tight that it compressed his lungs and pushed in his stomach. You let yourself go in his embrace, tears falling in rivers down your face and pooling onto the cotton of his beer-stained shirt. The familiarity of his warmth and the smell of his house was comforting, despite still standing halfway though the door with an android looming over your shoulder.