"Baby Mine - Dumbo"

Requested by frappegato

As you and the company settled down for the night, Thorin tells you, Kili, and Dwalin to go out to hunt for food while Bombur gets a fire going to help prepare for the food, just in case you can't find anything while out. You guys are out walking, well you're trailing behind the two dwarves. They may have taught you how to use a weapon, but you didn't know a thing about hunting.

As you were out hunting, you caught a few rabbit and a deer. Today was pretty lucky, you found a decent amount of food AND you learned something new. As you were heading back to the camp, you thought you heard something but you couldn't tell what it was, you tried to shrug it off since Dwalin and Kili didn't seem to hear it. You kept walking and then you heard it again, a bit clearer now."Did you guys hear that?" you asked. You weren't sure if your mind was playing tricks or not, so you stopped to see if you'd hear it again.

The two dwarves looked to each other then back at you, "We didn't hear anything." They took notice of your sudden concern. "Are you alright?" Kili asked concerned. "Shh!" you replied quickly. Then you heard it again a second after. It was a baby's cry, but no normal cry, it sounded like a desperate cry for help. You bolted into the direction of the sound leaving two very confused dwarves behind you. "Kili, go back and tell your Uncle we'll be a minute." Dwalin said in a authoritative tone. Kili nodded and made a B-line to the camp as Dwalin trailed you.

Something snapped the mother side out of you, you were no mother in your world but you'd be damned if you stood by and did nothing. You came into a small clearing with what looked like an abandoned cabin in the middle. You walk into the cabin and looked for the source of the sound, you follow the sound through the house to make your way upstairs, the first door you find it locked. You considered breaking it down until the sounds came from a different direction, you then followed it to a room you assumed was used as the bathroom. In the very dusty and cobwebbed tub covered with a white cloth, you remove the cloth and find a thick cloth moving around. You pick it up and open it up, only to find a baby.

It continued to cry until you lightly bounced it, walking around trying to soothe it. It opened its eyes and looked up at you and smiled at you with the moon light gleaming in its eyes. Dwalin walks into the cabin, ax drawn, ready to fight. "Lass! Are you--" He stopped when he saw you holding a baby, "...alright?". He looked around the cabin, just to be safe, before sheathing his ax and walks over to you. He looks between you and the baby for a bit before sighing. "Wait here for a bit, will ya?" he asked. You nodded and sat down on the edge of the tub rocking the baby back and forth.

Dwalin made it back to camp and explained that (Y/N) found a cabin that's large enough to fit everyone while they were out hunting. "Kili said (Y/N) heard something before running off, is everything alright?" Balin asked in a concerning tone. "That something is the reason she found that cabin." Dwalin explained. Thorin stood, "And what sound did she hear?" "It's better to show ya." Dwalin said as he packed up his stuff. Thorin and everyone else following their leaders actions. As they follow Dwalin and find the cabin, you've moved to a more open area towards the entrance to keep an eye out for the company or trouble.

 As they follow Dwalin and find the cabin, you've moved to a more open area towards the entrance to keep an eye out for the company or trouble

You look out the window to see the company coming into the clearing. Dwalin walks in first and looks for you, only to see you sitting on in a rocking chair by an unlit fire place with the baby still in your arms. "That is the sound she heard, the sound that lead her to this cabin." He says pointing towards you as the company walked in one by one staring at the baby in awe. "Is that a baby?" Ori asked walking a bit closer to you, setting his pack down. You leaned forward a bit so he could see better.

Thorin and the others start to clear the place up a bit to make room for sleeping while Bombur got a fire going in the fire place, after cleaning it first, of course. Everyone ate and talked for a bit before going to sleep. Bofur was on first watch while you still remained in the rocking chair. As you looked around the cabin and the mess that was currently shoved to the side, it didn't take long to figure what happened here. As you almost cried thinking about it, considering it all looked recent. Something broke in a did the unthinkable to this poor family, you were pretty positive on what was behind the locked door you found earlier.

"Is it a boy or girl?" asked Bofur. "Boy, I had to change him before you guys got here. Remind me to buy some spare cloth next town we visit." you relpy , Bofur laughed at the last bit. As the you stopped rocking, the baby started to fuss a bit. The company tensed a bit, either not knowing what do with a crying baby or not wanting to deal with a crying baby. You figured he refused to sleep, so you started rocking him again and started singing "Baby Mine" from Dumbo.

"Baby mine, don't you cry. Baby mine, dry your eyes. Rest your head close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine."

"Little one, when you play, don't you mind what they say. Let those eyes sparkle and shine, never a tear, baby of mine."

"If they knew sweet little you, they'd end up loving you too. All of those people who scold you. What they'd give just for the right to hold you."

"From your head, down to your toes. You're not much, goodness knows. But you're so precious to me. Sweet as can be, baby of mine."

"If they knew sweet little you, they'd end up loving you too. All those same people who scold you. What they'd give just for the right to hold you."

"From your head, down to your toes. You're not much, goodness knows. But you're so precious to me. Sweet as can be, baby of mine."

"Baby of mine."

You sang softly, trying not to disturb anyone. You look down to see the baby sleeping deeply in your arms, you smile softly and put the baby in a quick make shift bed you made from anything made of cloth in your pack and set the baby down gently. You stood back up to so you could eat your, now very cold, dinner, you didn't mind though. As you began to eat you felt eyes on you, you looked up to see half the company watching you with adoration in their eyes. Fili, who was sitting next to his uncle, spoke, "Are you a mother, in your world, I mean?" he asked softly, trying not to wake the baby. " No, why?" you said curiously. "Siblings?" Bilbo asked. "No." you said. "You have a motherly voice when you sing." Thorin said kindly. "Thank you?" you lightly laughed, you were pretty sure it was a compliment. Bofur turned to you, "I do believe you put half the company to bed, lass." You looked around to see six dwarves, deeply asleep. You giggled then went back to eating.

You finally cleared your plate and put it with the others to be washed. "You have a beautiful voice, (Y/N)." You turned around and saw Bilbo. "Oh, thank you." you sat down, "to be honest, I don't like to sing in front of others. I always get nervous and end up sounding like a dying cat. No, scratch that. A dying cat probably sounds like an angel compared to me." You joked. "Nonsense, lass. Your voice was heavenly." Bofur said. "Thanks." you said with a shy laugh.

"Goodnight guys." you said laying down, protectively next to the baby.

A/N : I damn near squealed when I saw this request and immediately went to my laptop to type this story

A/N : I damn near squealed when I saw this request and immediately went to my laptop to type this story. Holy crap lol. Hope you enjoyed reading this, feel free to request something. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as did writing it.