11

Lauren's PoV

"Mom." I call, entering the apartment quietly, my wet shoes padding down the wooden-floored hallway as I shrug off my soaking coat.

I peer into the kitchen and see my mother singling softly in the kitchen, taking a tray quickly out of the oven.

It's a Friday, three days since Shawn and I had made a start on our project, and three days since he's started hanging out with us continuously every lunch and break.

I smile softly at my mom and head to her side, helping her put the food onto the two plates she'd set out onto the counter.
"Gracias Lauren."

"So, mom." I start as I chew on a piece of chicken, flopping down onto a chair at the table. "Have you heard about the English trip coming up in December?"

She shakes her head slowly. "I haven't. Have you got a letter for it?"

I fumble through my bag and pass her the crumpled up letter, watching as she unfolds it.

"To New York?" She says slowly, putting her reading glasses on.
I nod with a growing smile. "Yeah, we'll be staying in a hotel for 6 nights."

She looks over the letter once more, then takes her glasses off, plopping them back into the case. Her eyes gaze at me thoroughly, before she smiles softly, making me sigh in relief.
"Sure you can go. I'll sign the letter and give you the deposit to give to your teacher tomorrow."

"Sweet." I smile. "Thanks mom."

I kiss her cheek gently and head to my room, falling onto the covers with a doe-eyed smile.

Six days away from home with my beautiful brunette English teacher? Yeah, I most definitely will like this.

///

I run down the stairs with my hair semi-wet and my clothes a baggy mess, my coat flimsy and hanging off at the side.
The rain scatters down harshly as I exit out of the main door, and I pull my hood over hurriedly, rushing over to Shawn's beaten old car.

"This is your car?" I ask while containing myself from a full-down laughing fit. Next to me, Shawn shakes his head, giving me a disapproving look, his hands held firmly on the steering wheel of his old Fiat.

"My Dad gave it to me when I turned sixteen." He says, pulling out of my apartment complex. He rubs the side of his car, whispering softly, and I roll my eyes at his gesture.

"Dude you're crazy."

He grins. "Crazy and gay."

I snort loudly, holding my palm over my mouth whilst my eyes crinkle from amusement.

He smiles, and we ride to school in comfortable  silence, the rain pattering on the windows and the sky turning a slight grey as we do so.

//

"Good morning class."

Camila stands at the front of the classroom, a soft smile adorning her lips. Her brown hair is Dutch braided and pulled back into a low bun, a single white flower placed between the underside of a braid. Her lips are plump and tinted with shiny lip gloss, her bright cocoa eyes outlined by the faintest of eyeliner and brown eyeshadow.
Her body is fit in a black trouser-suit and a creamy white blazer, matching her crystal white earrings and necklace.